Australians Find No Sign of E.T.

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
xqhiveF.jpg

Image: Creative Commons (CC)
One of the biggest search for signs of alien life among our local stars was conducted by the Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) in the Autralian outback with negative results. The radio telescope survey scanned a large swath of the sky listening for low-frequency emissions indicating the presence of alien intelligence in our cosmic neighborhood.

The wide-field array, capable of observing millions of stars simultaneously, concentrated its search on a rather populated star region of the Vela Constellation in the southern hemisphere. For seventeen straight hours, the astronomers operating the radio interferometer listened and waited for any artificial broadcast in the FM band that could be catalogued as a "'technosignature."

With this dataset, we found no technosignatures—no sign of intelligent life. And even though this was a really big study, the amount of space we looked at was the equivalent of trying to find something in the Earth's oceans but only searching a volume of water equivalent to a large backyard swimming pool.

Although the observing (or rather listening) run didn't produce any tantalizing evidence of extraterrestrial activity in that part of the sky, the scientists are hopeful that the future Square Kilometre Array (SKA), a more powerful instrument that will replace the
existing array, will be able to narrow the search gap for E.T.

With the SKA, we'll be able to survey billions of star systems, seeking technosignatures in an astronomical ocean of other worlds.

Read the full story below:

Not surprising, when you consider the efforts by SETI as a comparison. Would be fun to be involved in though.

Not surprising, when you consider the efforts by SETI as a comparison. Would be fun to be involved in though.
Hey stranger! Much like the Australian aliens that never materialised, you are becoming harder to see around here lol.

Yeah sorry, back at work last couple of days so stress levels back off the charts.
Been a bit out of softs.
Getting better :)

Yeah sorry, back at work last couple of days so stress levels back off the charts.
Been a bit out of softs.
Getting better :)
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry, Dundee. I assume they are opening up the country again? Work sucks big time when you have toxic bosses :/

No were still in lockdown, I am near Melbourne and I am sure you have seen on your news how crazy out premier is. They are calling him Dictator Dan. Melb is still in level 4 lockdown, night curfews etc. I am in a Rural area near melb but were still at level 3 lockdown. Feels weird to be locked down. Face masks are mandatory, fines for anyone not wearing them, people getting arrested and fined for breaking curfew. Crazy. Does not feel like Australia. Oh and our state borders are closed, you are not allowed to visit friends or family.