Betelgeuse to go Supernova at any moment

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
960x0.jpg

Royal Astronomical Society/e-MERLIN
The red supergiant star in the constellation Orion is experiencing wut many astronomers consider the initial death throes of a star before it finally goes out in a huge explosion. The star gained the attention of a group of astronomers who detected a significant and continous dimming of its light over a short period of time, a change that may indicate significant nuclear changes going on deep inside its core.

Current estimates predict that Betelgeuse could go supernova within the next one hundred thousand years - or maybe even sooner (one can only hope ☆). The explosion's luminosity is predicted to rival the full moon in our sky and will be visible even during daylight hours.

This event will be a fantastic opportunity for the scientific community to gather huge amounts of data that will test various models of stellar evolution, and all major astronomical instruments are closely monitoring the star. Betelgeuse is expected to shed its atmosphere in a giant explosion that will leave behind either a neutron star or a black hole.

Will Betelgeuse go supernova in our lifetime?

What will we call Orion if he looses his shoulder?
I think there is a prophecy that the aliens will arrive when Betel goes. It makes sense since they will be refugees from a dying solar system. They probability started their journey to us more than 700 years ago :-0

I think there is a prophecy that the aliens will arrive when Betel goes. It makes sense since they will be refugees from a dying solar system. They probability started their journey to us more than 700 years ago :-0
Well I better put on the kettle, it is around the 700 light years away, so assuming the "V"isitors have there foot to the floor, they are on our doorstep.

Did you watch the Childhood's End miniseries?
** sigh** no :( how come I always miss the good stuff.
My ex used to watch boring soap operas, I never got control of the remote control.
If you were my wife it would be great, you could have the remote and I would love the shows you watch.
I would never have to fight you for it :)

** sigh** no :( how come I always miss the good stuff.
My ex used to watch boring soap operas, I never got control of the remote control.
If you were my wife it would be great, you could have the remote and I would love the shows you watch.
I would never have to fight you for it :)
Oh, it is a must-watch. Only 3 episodes but very profound :-0

Lol, just finished E1. You could see that coming. I wonder where it is going.
Look forward to the rest.
Note at the end, Filmed in Melbourne with the help of the Victorian State government.
Going to have to look that one up.
I am an hour from Melbourne.