Cancel Culture

Toxic masculinity and the patriarchy are passing away. Behold the dawn of a new, non-binary era and the beginning of the technological singularity. Resistance is futile.

Assimilate Star Trek GIF by Paramount+
Terrible.

..It seems a large part of it is people of color and women claiming they are being marginalized so they are responding with Cancel Culture ideology to fight back..

I have noticed that over the last few months there has been a swing on tv advertising towards using people of colour far more than was previous. In fact I'd would say that it has swung the other way now.
One has to be careful though. Remember the old adage 'To be successful on Broadway you need to be gay or Jewish, preferably both'. And that leads to people who are neither having a harder time breaking into the game.

Same in Salt Lake City, it can be difficult getting a job if you are not a Mormon. I know a musician who moved there years ago. He wondered why he couldn't get gigs. The someone told him 'you have to join us'. He did, and things improved considerable.

Cancellation is a form pf rejection. And it can lead to things like what happened in 1930s Germany.

It is primarily people of color and women who claim they have been 'marginalized'. I have no doubt it's true in many cases.
But it seems like some are getting carried away like the Dr Seuss books.
And some blacks are again asking for reparations for slavery that was 200 years ago. How is that going to work?....the govt is already broke giving money to people for covid relief, and in debt to China and everyone else who loans us money..

Actually what is this cancel culture about?, i saw it in the US news and i don't understand what they are talking about.

It is primarily people of color and women who claim they have been 'marginalized'. I have no doubt it's true in many cases.
But it seems like some are getting carried away like the Dr Seuss books.
And some blacks are again asking for reparations for slavery that was 200 years ago. How is that going to work?....the govt is already broke giving money to people for covid relief, and in debt to China and everyone else who loans us money..
Slavery happened everywhere around the world, even here in Malaysia tbh, but for some reason i wonder why America is always talking about it.

Even Asian among Asian have slavery, back then don't have advance technology so it happens.

Actually it's still happening in Asia,
Like the North Koreans in Sarawak, Malaysia, their coal mine company is there, the workers don't get paid, just given food only.

Now i'm not sure how because North Korea cut off their diplomatic relationship with Malaysia, i'm not so sure why.

Slavery happened everywhere around the world, even here in Malaysia tbh, but for some reason i wonder why America is always talking about it.
Most western countries talk about it.
Perhaps because it is recent in history and in the US there was a war to help stop it.
Talk is good. From talk comes awareness and from aware comes actions.
There are many forms of Slavery both overt with chains and covert with politics. You don't have to look far to see certain countries keeping their people and neighbors tightly controlled through violence and repression. That's a kind of slavery.

So it does not matter which countries in the past have a history of slavery. All that matters is that we stop it now. And don't just be OK with it.

Reactions: Fish
Imo better to move on than to talk about the past that have nothing to do with you anymore. Talk can be bad imo, the more you teach a kid about the differences of this and that person, the kid who knows nothing is just going to develop hate or fear

Yeah I agree it's often not productive to dwell on the past. Like you I personally had nothing to do with it. But I wonder if I would feel that way if I was Aboriginal or African American. I suspect it would have considerably more significance then. And you have modern day slavery in Chinese sweat shops producing cheap cloths for a pittance. Even in Australia we have modern day slavery. I was watching the news where migrant workers are paid a pittance doing fruit picking. They are usually non English speaking. Tricked by bad people from their own country. They are forced to live in terriblely overcrowded houses. And it's easy to blame the migrant bosses for their methods. But what about the Australian employers who are happy to pay the low wages and close their eyes to what's happening. That's modern day Australia. We both say we had nothing to do with it. But if we turn a blind eye to it we are as guilty as anyone.

Reactions: Fish
Yeah i heard about that fruit picking story in Australia, even many graduate Malaysians also worked that job and some got cheated. If ask me i also like to do that fruit picking haha, if convert to MYR currency the pay is ok and it's a peaceful job.

About the low salary thing it's hard get rid of it, i have the same problem here, because the migrants are willing to work for low pay so the companies here are also paying everyone low pay.