Cancel Culture

D

Dr Wu

Bill Maher comments on the new Cancel Culture that is causing all manner of problems here in the US.
What's going on with this side of the political spectrum ?

Reactions: LeeLoo
Toxic masculinity and the patriarchy are passing away. Behold the dawn of a new, non-binary era and the beginning of the technological singularity. Resistance is futile.

Assimilate Star Trek GIF by Paramount+

Reactions: Fish
Toxic masculinity and the patriarchy are passing away. Behold the dawn of a new, non-binary era and the beginning of the technological singularity. Resistance is futile.

Assimilate Star Trek GIF by Paramount+
Speaking of Toxic Masculinity....
If your male and you know it clap your hands...mmmmm 7
I promise I wont resist :love: ;)

I hope some watched the Maher video...he's quite funny and clever at times.
But lame jokes aside...any serious thoughts on Cancel Culture and those who are ruining lives as a result of this new strain of 'political correctness gone wild'...?
o_O

I had to look this up.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cancel culture (or call-out culture) is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to be "cancelled".[1] Merriam-Webster notes that to "cancel", as used in this context, means "to stop giving support to that person"

It's a rather odd concept given the problem that the USA is having with Trump. One would think that the way to stop him being a pain in the butt would be for the rest of the Republican higher echelon to simply ignore him. I.e. just 'cancel' him out.

Simply ignore him.

In a more general context, the way this is being used is quite dangerous. If a group of people gang up on ,say, a lecturer in a college, then you finish up with anarchy. Or the whole place goes off in one direction. And the leaders with the loudest voice force out anyone they do not wish to listen to.

It does appear to be very much a form of bullying.

I had to look this up.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cancel culture (or call-out culture) is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those who are subject to this ostracism are said to be "cancelled".[1] Merriam-Webster notes that to "cancel", as used in this context, means "to stop giving support to that person"

It's a rather odd concept given the problem that the USA is having with Trump. One would think that the way to stop him being a pain in the butt would be for the rest of the Republican higher echelon to simply ignore him. I.e. just 'cancel' him out.

Simply ignore him.

In a more general context, the way this is being used is quite dangerous. If a group of people gang up on ,say, a lecturer in a college, then you finish up with anarchy. Or the whole place goes off in one direction. And the leaders with the loudest voice force out anyone they do not wish to listen to.

It does appear to be very much a form of bullying.
And it's bullying from the left currently and from mostly the younger people but they have co-opted some older liberals into joining their cause. It seems a large part of it is people of color and women claiming they are being marginalized so they are responding with Cancel Culture ideology to fight back. Many see it as 'victim mentality' in that those who support Cancel Culture are trying to play the 'victim card'. In some cases it's legitimate but in many it's not. Maher talks about several events in the video and mentioned others on his panel show that episode. People have lost their jobs and friends because someone called them out even when it was wrong to do so. It seems no one has the guts to say anything because then they get called a racist if they don't defend the Cancel Culture person.
I suspect part of this , and it has been going on for 4 years now since Drumpfs last election, is related to why so many have supported Drumpf the last few years....they don't like the PC stuff and see it as an enemy of the MAGA movement.

You will see some real marginalisation if Biden's 15 Dollar minimum wage goes through.

All the prices will go up. And employers will find ways of managing with fewer staff.

And that is the good news.

What about those out of work ? How are they going to manage ?

You will see some real marginalisation if Biden's 15 Dollar minimum wage goes through.

All the prices will go up. And employers will find ways of managing with fewer staff.

And that is the good news.

What about those out of work ? How are they going to manage ?
It should be raised but maybe compromise to make it $10.00 or $11.00
Covid is affecting the labor market more than anything else right now.

Covid is indeed effecting the labour market. But things will not return to how they were.

Robots don't catch Covid. And as the cost of labour goes up, employers will find ways to use more of them. Or they will simply do what manufacturers have always done, get things made abroad and import them.
The 'Made in America' slogan is all fine and laudable, but the simple truth is it costs too much.

Same problem afflicts all advanced Western countries.

The minimum wage here in OZ is a little under $20 AU which is about $15 US
I personally believe it is a disgrace.
It makes it awfully hard to live in any comfortable way and impossible to spire to owning a house. And always it is decided by the affluent on huge salaries. Disgraceful, almost slave labor.

Not to mention every other first world country has been giving their citizens a monthly COVID relief check.

It should be raised but maybe compromise to make it $10.00 or $11.00
Covid is affecting the labor market more than anything else right now.

I'm also thinking 10 would be better, at least for a while.
15 Dollars is (apparently) doubling the current minimum rate for many states. That would p;lac many at a serious disadvantage even at Trader Joe prices.

How do you survive on $7 per hour. I thought the US was supposed to be the greatest country in the world. No wonder you have such poverty and such a huge gap between the haves and the have not.

How do you survive on $7 per hour. I thought the US was supposed to be the greatest country in the world. No wonder you have such poverty and such a huge gap between the haves and the have not.
No one ever got rich (or even stayed in business) by paying their workers any more than is absolutely necessary. Even Marx had a very good way of explaining that. I can't remember the term, But I'll find it later.

The income differential is marked in every country in the World.
If you think about it, that is the way it has to be.

There are different layers of existence between the very rich and the very poor.
Each layer has developed it's own way of getting by.
As long as there are people who need work to buy the basic requirements of life (Maslow's bottom tier) then there will be this massive differential.
The only way past this is to have just as many people on the planet as it takes to maintain production. And no more. Every one beyond that requirement pushes the basic wage down.

Theoreticaly automation should ease that situation. But that, although useful, isn't working properly.

No one ever got rich (or even stayed in business) by paying their workers any more than is absolutely necessary. Even Marx had a very good way of explaining that. I can't remember the term, But I'll find it later.

Then you should not go into business if you can't afford to pay a fair wage.
Where do you draw the line? Migrant workers who don't know any better and pay them a pittance.
Employ kids on government training schemes so they are subsidized. Good for you, but others pay for this in our taxes.
Or do we just go back to slave labor?

The income differential is marked in every country in the World.
If you think about it, that is the way it has to be.
No it doesn't. It is that way becasue it is exploited by those with the ability to exploit.

Take a small town with three milk bars that employs a small workforce with a fair wage and reasonable hours and conditions. Some marketing company in a capital city identifies it as a market to exploit and one of there big corporate's build a big supermarket. Now the milk bars cant compete, they either put off staff or close down and the supermarket employees kids for the minimum wage, shit hours and conditions with an expendable staff policy,

Why, becasue one of the haves in the affluent belt can. He becomes filthy rich, at the expense of an entire town.

We had here in my town a big medical profession rally complaining about some changes that the government was going to make. The newspapers were all over it, oh the poor doctors will have to raise consultation fees, people will be worse off etc etc. It was held outdoors inn a big park in my town. I jumped in my dirty old Hilux and went for a drive.

I should have took a photo, the cars, all Mercedes BMW, Saab, a few exotics ones. Yeah... the poor doctors, they are doing it so tough.

I agree some small businesses are doing it tough. But I have worked with these people, 90% of the time it is Bullshit. Oh were doing it tough, in their 45 square house on a half acres with the speedboat and paddock full of horse.

I am sorry, but people doing things that are not morally right just becasue they can in my opinion of as wrong as it gets.

I could say much more but I will leave it.