CDC Coronavirus Warning

N

Nabix

The CDC issued a statement saying we all should prepare for the Coronavirus to hit the US... What are all of you takes on this? Shouldn't we just shut down our borders like Italy?

Reactions: Aurora
The CDC issued a statement saying we all should prepare for the Coronavirus to hit the US... What are all of you takes on this? Shouldn't we just shut down our borders like Italy?
The virus is already in the U.S. There are probably clusters of infections brewing across the country. Time to send in Viper Command:

I was reading on ATS that some people are saying they know friends and family who have the virus and the hospitals aren't telling anyone they are being treated there. :unsure:

I was reading on ATS that some people are saying they know friends and family who have the virus and the hospitals aren't telling anyone they are being treated there. :unsure:
I don't doubt there's already a cover-up in progress just like in China. Don't want panic in the streets :/

I don't understand something, I was listening to the radio a few minutes ago and this medical guru said that if it is declared a Pandemic, the good thing that comes out of that is that countries will open their borders again??
That seems counter intuitive to me, wouldn't you close your borders?

I don't understand something, I was listening to the radio a few minutes ago and this medical guru said that if it is declared a Pandemic, the good thing that comes out of that is that countries will open their borders again??
Yeah. That's a weird comment.

Actually opening the borders is a good thing. Closing borders prevents valuable resources used to help stop the virus(s) from being distributed, like masks, gloves, etc. Imagine if you opened your doors to let people in, one was infected. Now, you close your doors and you are stuck with one infected person who is bound to infect others. Now, you have little to no means of preventive distribution.

I have a lady friend in the North of Italy and she is panicking. Masks are scarce and prices for things are on the rise. We have noticed that China is over the worst of it but no cure has been discovered yet.

Actually opening the borders is a good thing. Closing borders prevents valuable resources used to help stop the virus(s) from being distributed, like masks, gloves, etc. Imagine if you opened your doors to let people in, one was infected. Now, you close your doors and you are stuck with one infected person who is bound to infect others. Now, you have little to no means of preventive distribution.
Thanks for the explanation, it is as good as any if that is their reasoning.
I still think closing the borders is more sensible as far as containing the virus though.
At least that limits one potential place of transmission.

I'd just let it go its course. If this is the end, its the end. Bring it on. Plus the addition of population control lol

In reality, most cases aren't even as bad as the flu. If it starts mutating or some shit and really gets out of hand, I mean really, then yeah i'll strap on my gloves and mask.

Too Soon :) ?

3nknwl.jpg

Us Australians are weird!!
People are panic buying from the supermarket, not canned food, not water, not easily stored long life food.
but "Toilet Paper" ???
People are panic buying toilet paper, to the point there have been mentions of it in the media saying don't panic.
Figure that one out and your smarter than me. :unsure:

Wash your hands regularly and keep them away from your face....Even if a vaccine is manufactured they are saying it could take a year before it would available, a lot of people can die in a year. I think there is like already 11 deaths from it here in the US as of now.......I don't know I had so many plague shots while I was in the military...

Us Australians are weird!!
People are panic buying from the supermarket, not canned food, not water, not easily stored long life food.
but "Toilet Paper" ???
People are panic buying toilet paper, to the point there have been mentions of it in the media saying don't panic.
Figure that one out and your smarter than me. :unsure:
They might want to profit from "those in need". Selling each roll for $5.00 for extra cash for some more beers.

I personally think this virus is not as bad as they say it is. 2 - 3% mortality rate. I think it was the swine flu that was 10%.

People are just creating a drama because these days there is nothing too much to be worried about, they have to find something. Something big in the world. When you compare us against the events in the 1900's? We are living in luxury, those living in the first world anyway.

I think it is not the mortality rate that is significant, it is the fact that they don't have a vaccine, in some instances they are unsure how it spread. An Australian woman has it who has not been overseas, is not aware of being around anyone who has been to an infected country and has no other people around her effected. They are not sure how it will respond to a vaccine. Also a couple of people have become reinfected which is also unusual. As well as that they are suspecting the incubation period may be longer than the 14 days they first thought of.
So given all that, I think it is the potential for it becoming a pandemic is high.

Panic buying chain reaction.
I just went to the loo before and saw we had only 1 and a half rolls of toilet paper left. Bloody kids I thought, do they not know how to buy loo tickets? So i headed off to the supermarket to buy an 8 pack that should last us a few weeks. I was aware of all the nonsense on TV about people in Australia panic buying, especially toilet paper for some odd reason, but I gave it little thought. I got to the supermarket and was greeted with blank shelves...nothing left.

No toilet paper, no tissues, no hand towels, I looked further and noticed so many empty spaces.
People are panic buying.
My first reaction was irritation, and anger. People are just plain stupid I thought.
Then I thought, bloody hell, next time they get a shipment, I better buy a few extras just in case!!!!!

Bazinga, see what happened, I just went in one short moment from a victim of others stupidity to part of the problem,
So once I realized, I thought no, bugger it. I will buy only an 8 pack like I always do.

But it occurred to me this is for something as lame as the corona virus which is barely effecting us in OZ.

Imagine something far more serious,
I could easily see a situation as a result of say a serious global problem where I see some selfish bastard in the supermarket with say 20 loaves of bread and me missing out, So I am willing to challenge him for what he has.
Would I take from him if I thought him unfair, would I fight him, if it got crazy, would i hurt him, or worse.
It is madness, I did not like my train of thought

How dependent we all are on the rest of society looking after us.
It made me think of a cartoon strip I once saw,

2 cockroaches sitting on a hill watching nukes leveling the planet.
On cockroach says with a laugh..."So they finally did it" the other laughs and says, "Yeah" They walk off together,.

As a civilization (I use that term very loosely) we really don't deserve to survive do we.