Covid Lockdown

D

Dundee

Well due to escalating cases each day my STate here in OZ has gone into stage 3 lockdown with Melbourne in stage 4 lockdown in an effort to slow the spread.
Face masks are now mandatory across the state with $1600 fines for any that refuse to wear them.
Businesses shops pubs you name it all closed.
8:00pm curfew, anyone caught outside after 8:00 pm without a valid reason gets a huge fine.
The army and Police are doing random house checks on people who test positive.
If they are not in home quarantine without a very good reason on the spot fines up to $5000 an option
With repeat offenders facing court to get up to a $20,000 fine or imprisonment.
Lets hope it helps.
So sad, so many oldies are paying the price.

• Wow
Reactions: LETA
Wow. That's just going overboard. Here, the mayor just threatens you with shutting off your water and power :p

Wow. That's just going overboard. Here, the mayor just threatens you with shutting off your water and power :p
Perhaps, but at least people are almost 100% complying. Which is the only way it will ever end.

The say this virus is here to stay. No end in sight until they start vaccinating ppl. And even then, it will continue to mutate, so new strains each year. A sad state of affairs :/

The say this virus is here to stay. No end in sight until they start vaccinating ppl. And even then, it will continue to mutate, so new strains each year. A sad state of affairs :/
Yes I read the same. You could probably stop it with very strict rules like here where I am, the problem is though, even if we stamp it out 100%. While countries like yours have a more relaxed approach, we will never be able to open the borders again.

One person carrying it in from another country and its groundhogs day...year.

So yeah your right. if we are ever to see normality again its going to be through a vaccine.
I feel sorry for you guys in the US. Unless your government changes its approach, it is surely there to stay.
Were having enough trouble here with our strict rules.
They work though, we almost nailed it at one point but we relaxed the lock down too soon and it returned again.

Well due to escalating cases each day my STate here in OZ has gone into stage 3 lockdown with Melbourne in stage 4 lockdown in an effort to slow the spread.
Face masks are now mandatory across the state with $1600 fines for any that refuse to wear them.
Businesses shops pubs you name it all closed.
8:00pm curfew, anyone caught outside after 8:00 pm without a valid reason gets a huge fine.
The army and Police are doing random house checks on people who test positive.
If they are not in home quarantine without a very good reason on the spot fines up to $5000 an option
With repeat offenders facing court to get up to a $20,000 fine or imprisonment.
Lets hope it helps.
So sad, so many oldies are paying the price.
I'm very sorry to hear that & hope you get your freedom back soon. I also hope you're safe & well.

Yeah all good, not worried about my freedom so much, no big deal if is helps to save lives.
I'm glad you're safe & well. As many lives as possible need saving but it would be nice for people to have freedom for their emotional well-being & the sakes & livelihoods of necessary businesses.

I'm glad you're safe & well. As many lives as possible need saving but it would be nice for people to have freedom for their emotional well-being & the sakes & livelihoods of necessary businesses.
Yeah I guess so. But you can't have it both ways. People can't be like some in the USA, screaming not enough is done to stop the spread, but then screaming at the government for wanting to lock things down. Like it or hate it, until a vaccine is found, the only way this will stop is strict lock down.

Yeah I guess so. But you can't have it both ways. People can't be like some in the USA, screaming not enough is done to stop the spread, but then screaming at the government for wanting to lock things down. Like it or hate it, until a vaccine is found, the only way this will stop is strict lock down.
I know. Countries need to work things out so all emergency situations are covered though which they're not.

I know. Countries need to work things out so all emergency situations are covered though which they're not.
The disease is like a natural disaster, no one like having to live in a shelter, receiving emergency medical help, cant go to work, cant go home. But do people want to survive this? If you want to get through it, then you have to do what it takes. Likewise with corona, if you want to stay safe and see an end to this then people have to go into lock down, no one likes it. It is like cancer, you want to live? Then go to chemo. You just have to do it. People cant have it both ways, It sucks but if people have to stop bitching about the government and just stay home.
If you have to go out, the take all the precautions.
If not
Stay home and wait it out.

The disease is like a natural disaster, no one like having to live in a shelter, receiving emergency medical help, cant go to work, cant go home. But do people want to survive this? If you want to get through it, then you have to do what it takes. Likewise with corona, if you want to stay safe and see an end to this then people have to go into lock down, no one likes it. It is like cancer, you want to live? Then go to chemo. You just have to do it. People cant have it both ways, It sucks but if people have to stop bitching about the government and just stay home.
If you have to go out, the take all the precautions.
If not
Stay home and wait it out.
I know. The government didn't plan it properly though. Some services that should be seen as emergencies aren't. You can't do everything you need to do because of it & I'm talking need as in the proper dictionary definition of the word & not a child's definition. I don't mind wearing masks when out & treating everyone as if they've got B.O. as long as I can do what I need to do. I'm talking needs here & not wants.

I know. The government didn't plan it properly though. Some services that should be seen as emergencies aren't. You can't do everything you need to do because of it & I'm talking need as in the proper dictionary definition of the word & not a child's definition. I don't mind wearing masks when out & treating everyone as if they've got B.O. as long as I can do what I need to do. I'm talking needs here & not wants.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. When this first started, who knew the extent of the spread of it all, and the damage to come. If governments come down hard then they got flamed for unnecessary restrictions, if they are soft then they did not do enough. And always this is judged from a retrospective point of view.

And needs are a relative thing aren't they? My needs differ from yours. What happens if my needs put you or someone close to you at risk?
Some people said we should have just let it have its way, and wait for heard immunity, yeah OK, my response to that is then let those people put their grand parents and elderly or unwell loved ones out in the first batch to face chance.

Our respective governments are literally having to decide on measures that have a line in the sand. On one side are those that live, on the other are those that may not. No one decision will suit all peoples needs. They have to make decisions for all.
I am very glad it is not me that has to decide who lives and who dies. Because as namess and facelss as those that succumb to covid are, the government is literally deciding their fate.
As Spock said, The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

I know.

What I mean by this is you'd expect that as it's a deadly virus they'd expect to die so have people in the bereavement offices of utility companies & Dr's. They didn't. You'd also expect someone to be on the phones for ordering repeat prescriptions but there hasn't been. My Sister was without inhalers for a short period of time because of it. You'd also think there'd be someone in hearing aid centres so deaf people could order tubes or batteries. There isn't. See! They are absolute needs. While our pubs are open these essential services are unavailable.

I'd understand if it was to do with your genuine needs not wants. I.e. You'd need something like I mentioned but wouldn't need beer. I'd be annoyed if someone got ill because you thought you needed beer but not the needs I mentioned. I understand where you're coming from & agree with your idea of who is vulnerable but don't think everyone's genuine needs are catered for.

I disagree with your point about everyone's needs being met. Everyone's needs can be met as long as they are their genuine needs & not wants. With the exceptions of businessmen of course. Businessmen need to make & sell things so they can keep their heads above water. Lockdown is preventing most people from buying their goods therefore businesses are losing out & their needs are not met & can't be met. Health is more important then money. I know they've got to decide for everyone.

The needs of the many are the needs of almost everybody at some point.

I guess yu would have to look at each individual case and why it was shut down. For example funerals here in Australia were limited to 5 people to stop mass gatherings. That is awful for the family but the alternative is to have a large funeral that has the potential to infect and kill more people should an infected person attend.

As for the others, like the hearing aid centers. I don't know why that would be. Perhaps it is something in a supply chain, or an associated industry?? You would have to look into it. The beer thing I agree, we have take away available here with all the covid rules to be enforced while buying it. But Pubs and bars are closed. Business men... well that is on an case by case basis.
To pick an example out of thin air. What about a legal sweat shop, a small hot room with a lot of people sitting at sewing machines making clothes. That would be crazy to let continue. There are a lot of businesses out there that have a lot of customers and or workers in close proximity. You just can;t have that. One customer might infect 10 people and kill one.
I would rather see that business go under than for some poor old granny to die of covid because her family member got unnecessarily exposed. None of us can make a blanket rule that lets everyone be safe while maintaining everyone's perceived needs. See for example your hearing aid situation. I don;t see that as nessesary short term, if an elderly person gets covid and dies due to attending a hearing center. I would rather them have to endure hearing loss for a period of time than die of covid.

I guess yu would have to look at each individual case and why it was shut down. For example funerals here in Australia were limited to 5 people to stop mass gatherings. That is awful for the family but the alternative is to have a large funeral that has the potential to infect and kill more people should an infected person attend.

As for the others, like the hearing aid centers. I don't know why that would be. Perhaps it is something in a supply chain, or an associated industry?? You would have to look into it. The beer thing I agree, we have take away available here with all the covid rules to be enforced while buying it. But Pubs and bars are closed. Business men... well that is on an case by case basis.
To pick an example out of thin air. What about a legal sweat shop, a small hot room with a lot of people sitting at sewing machines making clothes. That would be crazy to let continue. There are a lot of businesses out there that have a lot of customers and or workers in close proximity. You just can;t have that. One customer might infect 10 people and kill one.
I would rather see that business go under than for some poor old granny to die of covid because her family member got unnecessarily exposed. None of us can make a blanket rule that lets everyone be safe while maintaining everyone's perceived needs. See for example your hearing aid situation. I don;t see that as nessesary short term, if an elderly person gets covid and dies due to attending a hearing center. I would rather them have to endure hearing loss for a period of time than die of covid.
I agree with the funeral situation. I was in the same position.

I also agree with the pubs being closed & sweat shops. I agree with small shops being closed. I think the hearing aid situation is necessary but I don't mean that hearing aid centres should be open properly. Mother orders the batteries by sending in a card with her order on as that's what she got asked to do while this was on. I just think someone should go into the office once a day to check the post, sort & send out the batteries & tubes then go home.

I agree with the funeral situation. I was in the same position.

I also agree with the pubs being closed & sweat shops. I agree with small shops being closed. I think the hearing aid situation is necessary but I don't mean that hearing aid centres should be open properly. Mother orders the batteries by sending in a card with her order on as that's what she got asked to do while this was on. I just think someone should go into the office once a day to check the post, sort & send out the batteries & tubes then go home.
Yeah its tough all round for everyone isnt it. Well I guess we just have to wait it out. It will be nice to look back on it as old news,

Yeah its tough all round for everyone isnt it. Well I guess we just have to wait it out. It will be nice to look back on it as old news,
Yes. It is. We will. It will be nice to see the end of it.

I really did try to show empathy & understanding for your situation but allowed my feelings & situation to get in the way. I'm very sorry I gushed. I guess I wasn't emotionally ready & shouldn't have said anything. I made myself look selfish & immature in the process.

Yes. It is. We will. It will be nice to see the end of it.

I really did try to show empathy & understanding for your situation but allowed my feelings & situation to get in the way. I'm very sorry I gushed. I guess I wasn't emotionally ready & shouldn't have said anything. I made myself look selfish & immature in the process.
Haha don't give it another thought Horsa. Your idea of doing the wrong thing is most peoples idea of accidentally stepping on an ant. I doubt you would know how to be selfish or immature if someone offered you money to try it :) lol
So thank you but no apology needed. :)

Haha don't give it another thought Horsa. Your idea of doing the wrong thing is most peoples idea of accidentally stepping on an ant. I doubt you would know how to be selfish or immature if someone offered you money to try it :) lol
So thank you but no apology needed. :)
Haha! I guess my "being selfish & immature" is me feeling & expressing feelings which just appear to be strong sometimes especially when there's a proper reason behind it. Thank you very much, Dundee. Lol.

O.k. :0)