Dark Matter

D

Dundee

In response to a conversation I had a few months ago on someones recommendation I have been reading... Listening to actually Lisa Randall's Dark Matter and the Dinosaur. She talks a lot about the possibil nature of dark matter. Until her book I had thought of it as this nondescript imaginary single description thing. But she points out that there is no reason to think that it might be as complex and diverse as matter in our visible spectrum. She also talks about, although very briefly dark life. Something that had never occurred to me.
What if UFOs are being that can switch between the dark universe and ours. We often talk about interdimentional beings as a possible, yet we can't yet even detect other dimensions. Yet we know the existence of dark matter by looking at gravity. We just don't know what it is.
Imagine if we switched on the dark matter camera and we were surrounded by an entire civilization.

Reactions: LeeLoo
Dark matter is something of a misnomer.

It'dark' because it theoretically is there but we can' detect it by any known means. It neither emits or absorbs light or any other part of the electromagnetic spectrum. But, mathematically it has to be there to allow for the expansion of the Universe.

But like extra dimensions, we can't detect it.

Dark matter is something of a misnomer.

It'dark' because it theoretically is there but we can' detect it by any known means. It neither emits or absorbs light or any other part of the electromagnetic spectrum. But, mathematically it has to be there to allow for the expansion of the Universe.

But like extra dimensions, we can't detect it.
My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong. But accoring to Lisa Randal, we can in a way detect its presense by the combined effect of it and the visible universes gravity. If I understood correctly, although we can't detect it directly as in, "here is an atom of dark matter" we can look at gravity and say wait a minute, this math does not add up, where is this extra gravity comeing from. So we can detect the effect of an unknown..."thing" which we chose to call Dark Matter. UNlike Multidimensions which as I understand exist only in math. So we can detects its effect in a calculable way, we just cant quantify it.

By quantify it I really meen examineit.

It's pretty much like that.

The situation being that something appears to be causing the galaxies to move away from each other. And we can't identify the cause. As we can't detect a cause it is 'dark' to us. And it apparently accounts for a large percentage of the Universes mass.

Clearly (if you'll excuse the pun) we are missing something important.

Naming things gives an illusion of understanding, but is merely classification. Nonetheless it is an important first step, which inspires questions such as what gives the differing attributes associated with the different names ?

Frank Close.

From 'Neutrino' :Frank Close.

You should check out Lisa Randall's book. I think you might be surprised exactly how much is being talked about.

I have all Randall's books, except for 'Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs'.

I did borrow it from the library, but decided I wouldn't read it until I had absorbed the others.

Still absorbing.

Wasn't it I who suggested to you the Dinosaur book ? On 'the other site' ?

Quit likely 🤣 if you recommended another one yes. I could not get it on Audio book but this one I could. I spend a lot of time on the road in my job so I enjoy that format. As for absorbing lol. At best I got an in principal understanding and that's being generous. She is a smart cookie. Not an easy picture to assemble. But the individual bits are sort of OK. This one she talks a lot about dark matter. It's really interesting.

Dark Matter dislodged the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs? That's tenous :/
:) It is complicated and I am no where near sciency enough to explain what she said. But my understanding is that it was incidental not intentional, like the butterfly effect. But it makes sense if you listen to what she has to say.
But, like i said, I just followed along, what was said made sense at the time, but dont ask me to explain it. She has forgotten more science that I will ever know.

Lisa is funny. When I asked her on twitta whether Branes (membrane theories) were dead, she replied:

Lisa is funny. When I asked her on twitta whether Branes (membrane theories) were dead, she replied:

Why does it not surprise me you are one of her pals....
I feel like I just met Carl Sagan in the pub, didn't know who he was, and proceeded to tell him about space...:(
I shall crawl back in my kennel :)

Buddies with Ethan, too:

And if Hawking were alive, he would vouch for me, too :p

Sigh... I am so low in the food chain, do you know what keeps the sun off my head.?...
Pond Scum...
Just call me Gollum :(

algae-on-pond.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LETA
He was attending a ufo convention in, I think, Birmingham (UK) back in the early eighties.

I was there with the YUFOS delegation. When lunch time came around our leader, Graham Birdsall (RIP) suggested we take Bud to a pud for a drink.

I don't remember details, a long time ago.

Can't resolve that here. I'll have to change to my XP machine that has a VPN and pretend I am American.

Watch it later.