Do you remember...? Your first computer.

H

HAL

Ok, so we all had to start somewhere.

Mine was a Tandy TRS-80 Model 1. I paid a fortune (well, for me) to get this machine. And the power !

1 K RAM
Z80 processor.
2K clock.
Level 1 BASIC in ROM, all upper case, no line editor.
DEBUG for the really adventurous.
No Trig' functions (you had to create them, programs were in the manual. But they took up most of the RAM leaving little space for the program.
Programs recorded on cassette tape.

Yes, those were the days.

And I still have this machine. Serial Number 00817

But this machine taught me BASIC. Which I still use.

Mind, I still have all my computers.

HAL
Ah, those were the days.

Reactions: Dundee
Totally. The iMac G3!

IMac_Bondi_Blue.jpg

Reactions: Dundee
a4cec298eea4683e242b44aa321d160dbf60e681.jpg

Had a standard Gateway set up in 1999....then Packard bell..then Dell...have an HP laptop now at home and an older HP desktop from the office ..since I retired recently.

btw hello to Leta, Dundee, and Hal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LETA
I have no idea what that is. I no longer have the old Gateway nor any of the other systems...and I know nothing about specs nor have I ever bothered to really care. I bought my desktops and laptops based on reviews and friends recommendations .
I have always had good luck for the most part and I am not a game player so never needed anything 'fancy'.

Likewise not a game player. So I also don't need blindingly fast processing.

I never had a new machine, but had (still have) some good 'oldies'.

Running a Dell laptop for XP, and the Acer Aspire for the desktop. Running openSUSE Leap 15.1 Linux.

Probably stick with this for the foreseeable.

LETA,

A MAC Lady ! Should I bow or will a simple doff of my flat cap be sufficient ? ;)

Only the posh around here had Macs. Those who could also afford shoe laces.
Actually I have an Apple II. So I claim seniority.
One of my colleagues at work had a Mac; there was something 'different' about him....

HAL :)

I have always been a computer nerd and a gamer so my current PC is a gameing PC,
The coolest 2 PC's I have ever built was a scratch built 6809
similar to this one. Mine was a lot nicer presented though.
You had to program it either in machine code directly from the Hex keyoard,
or in 6809 asm using a cross compiler.

iu

A mate who is really clever and really eccentric was building a project and was super busy.
So he got me to construct and wire wrap an 8600 CPU PC from a schematic he desgned.
A gazzillion wires and 4 mistakes before we got it working, 2 with my wiring and two with his design.
You dont reckon that messed with my head.
Was similar to below on the wrap side. Took forever.

iu

Now about all I do like that is a lot of Arduino stuff and a little bit of Raspbery Pi

a4cec298eea4683e242b44aa321d160dbf60e681.jpg

Had a standard Gateway set up in 1999....then Packard bell..then Dell...have an HP laptop now at home and an older HP desktop from the office ..since I retired recently.

btw hello to Leta, Dundee, and Hal.
Hey doc! Welcome to AB!

Likewise not a game player. So I also don't need blindingly fast processing.

I never had a new machine, but had (still have) some good 'oldies'.

Running a Dell laptop for XP, and the Acer Aspire for the desktop. Running openSUSE Leap 15.1 Linux.

Probably stick with this for the foreseeable.

LETA,

A MAC Lady ! Should I bow or will a simple doff of my flat cap be sufficient ? ;)

Only the posh around here had Macs. Those who could also afford shoe laces.
Actually I have an Apple II. So I claim seniority.
One of my colleagues at work had a Mac; there was something 'different' about him....

HAL :)
Haha It was a gift for my birthday. Loved that mac. Now I'm using Windows machines. Quite the regress. I'm de-evolving :p

Ok, so we all had to start somewhere.

Mine was a Tandy TRS-80 Model 1. I paid a fortune (well, for me) to get this machine. And the power !

1 K RAM
Z80 processor.
2K clock.
Level 1 BASIC in ROM, all upper case, no line editor.
DEBUG for the really adventurous.
No Trig' functions (you had to create them, programs were in the manual. But they took up most of the RAM leaving little space for the program.
Programs recorded on cassette tape.

Yes, those were the days.

And I still have this machine. Serial Number 00817

But this machine taught me BASIC. Which I still use.

Mind, I still have all my computers.

HAL
Ah, those were the days.
sci-fi GIF

I don't remember what it was, as I had little interest in computers until I needed to use them.

Today I have a 2009 Acer with Windows 7. I looked into upgrading but found the specs in latest computers offer very little advancement in speed and storage. I tried the Windows upgrade and didn't like it. I'm surprised. It's almost we hit a max point and waiting for that Quantum Computing.

Even my phone-computer is bit outdated - 3 year old LG V20 - the last of the great removable battery phones. I love it, never attached to the wall, power up in 30 seconds. I guess I'll switch to latest LG with G5 when I have to, but will not like it.

C2xkjhh.jpg

You'd love an NVMe M.2 SSD, I bought one in my last upgrade. What a difference in boot and data transfer.
But unless you are a gamer or doing number crunching or video editing. You wont notice a lot of difference between you I3 and a new one. At least not for day to day stuff.