Floyd's Death Sparks Riots Across U.S.

America would be burning right about now.
And again the sad thing is they end up burning and looting usually in the areas where they live.....where they need the very same poilce to protect their homes and lives....go figure. :erwhat?:

Reactions: Fish
I'll throw in an off-topic (maybe not that far off).

Whilst I have no problems with people protesting. I do wonder why your police are so lax when it comes to dealing with looters.

Surely it is ok to simply shoot them.

I'll throw in an off-topic (maybe not that far off).

Whilst I have no problems with people protesting. I do wonder why your police are so lax when it comes to dealing with looters.

Surely it is ok to simply shoot them.
Well....shooting them gets a bit tricky these days ..as you can imagine. ;)
When these events happen lately the media are tagging them as 'protests' so they get leary about shooting people....they do arrest looters and protesters who are damaging private property, etc.

I see.

Remember that I belong to the Joe Stalin school of internal security enforcement.

I see.

Remember that I belong to the Joe Stalin school of internal security enforcement.
Well...it's interesting that the media tends to go easy on these protesters/looters. Everyone is so afraid of this cancel culture mentality from the left that no one is willing to call it rioting ...if it gets bad then that word finally comes out.
All the group responses after the verdict focused on people of color talking on camera in the street ,etc...I personally didn't see any white people questioned about their reaction after the trial except again for the tv anchors.
And all you see on the news with the Floyd coverage both onsite and in the studio is people of color reporting it....apparently the white field reporters are all on vacation right now. ;)

His actions certainly contributed to his death..the main cause most likely, but I do not believe he meant to kill him.
This is an example of poorly trained police and not following better guidelines for doing their job. The police end up doing what they think they need to do to protect themselves on the street but in this case and others it was over the line.
What's also sad about this in the societal framework is that policing is the most vital in poorer communities where most people of color live currently and where the crime and shooting rates are the highest. To lower (defund) policing or stop them from effctively doing their jobs will only end up hurting those areas and lives in the long run. I live south of Chicago and every night there is a shooting and children are dying due to gangs, guns, and crime. How do we protect the people and still not have these incidents?
But why is this type of thing not as prevalent in outher western countries. Normal cops in the UK dont even carry guns. We have our issues here in Australia for sure. But our police by and large dont do tbis. Why is it so bad in the US. Shouldn't reform come from looking at other countries with s better police force and learning from them.

I have no answers on the shootings but the US is not even in the top ten as far as crime rates and murder rates globally. These are adjusted for poulation btw. Go figure.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country (the US is 7th on the gun related deaths)
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/police-killings-by-country (6th on this list)

So...is it that bad here or do we just get far more attention because we are America..'the land of the free and home of the brave'?
:unsure:

I have no answers on the shootings but the US is not even in the top ten as far as crime rates and murder rates globally. These are adjusted for poulation btw. Go figure.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gun-deaths-by-country (the US is 7th on the gun related deaths)
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/police-killings-by-country (6th on this list)

So...is it that bad here or do we just get far more attention because we are America..'the land of the free and home of the brave'?
:unsure:
I wasn't really meaning to bring shootings as such into it. But at the risks inherent in the conversation. If for example you look at firearm related deaths graph the us is up their on the cusp with columbia, elsalvadore etc with a number of 12.9
If you compare that to the UK with similar habbits and culture on 0.26

In any case I was really referring to police violence.
If you look at police killings per 10 million. The USA has 28.4 / 10M Australia 1.7 / 10M the UK is 0.5 / 10 M
And though you have pointed out that the us is 6th on the list. The countries with higher rates are the likes of Syria, Indi , Brazil
Again on that list Australia at 4, UK at 4 are down the bottom where the us is 933

I guess what I am saying it would it be worth looking at other countries whose police perhaps have a better track record. And seeing what they do different that might be applied to the US to improve things. Being a cop is a tough job.

And again the sad thing is they end up burning and looting usually in the areas where they live.....where they need the very same poilce to protect their homes and lives....go figure. :erwhat?:
Yeah, i never understood that mentality :/

Reactions: Fish
Pamela Brown, anchor on CNN, was moved to ask the question...as there are other countries with high gun ownership, Switzerland etc, why do we have such a horrific gun crime ? Is it that there is something inherently bad in our make up ?

With twenty thousand gun related deaths per year she does have a point.

And before anyone jumps in and says that most of them are suicides, that would raise the question 'why do so many people feel the need to kill themselves ?'

Pamela Brown, anchor on CNN, was moved to ask the question...as there are other countries with high gun ownership, Switzerland etc, why do we have such a horrific gun crime ? Is it that there is something inherently bad in our make up ?

And before anyone jumps in and says that most of them are suicides, that would raise the question 'why do so many people feel the need to kill themselves ?'

True, i had a friend in high school, we r the same age, she's from New York, her friend killed himself with his father's rifle i think, he was a very smart student in the university in US but was bullied, both in Uni and in his hostel and no one took action, he even reported it to the university but they didn't care. He went to the park and killed himself there.

The thing is there is middle ground. I guess you dont have to ban guns, I have 4 here. But why not just regulate. Keep them locked, away from kids, background checks etc. It would be a start.

The thing is there is middle ground. I guess you dont have to ban guns, I have 4 here. But why not just regulate. Keep them locked, away from kids, background checks etc. It would be a start.
I rather have a lot of knife than guns, we humans have emotions, sometimes there might be a time where we can't think properly and with a gun it's very easy to take a life. With a knife u need to cut yourself many times and by that time u might change your mind.

All those gun restrictions are in place here...there is a waiting period, checks,licensing required in most states, etc, no one is even saying to 'ban' guns, just make them a bit harder to obtain, but the Right Wingers aren't cooperating with anything .They think it's 1779 and need their guns,
btw...I don't own a single weapon but have family members who do.

All those gun restrictions are in place here...there is a waiting period, checks,licensing required in most states, etc, no one is even saying to 'ban' guns, just make them a bit harder to obtain, but the Right Wingers aren't cooperating with anything .They think it's 1779 and need their guns,
btw...I don't own a single weapon but have family members who do.
Gun laws here in Australia are pretty tight. You have to do a course no matter what your experience is. Guns have to be locked in a metal gun case. Ammunition has to be locked in a separate location. You cant leave them loaded when stored. No one but licensed people can have acce to the gun cabinet. All guns can only be bought via a gun shop. So i i buy your gun. You have to take it to a shop and we do the paperwork and i take it home. No Automatic or Simi auto itjout neefing it as a proffsional shooter. No handguns. Oy if you need it for your job. You can get them as a club persor colletor but definitely not for ptotction... It goes on

Gun laws here in Australia are pretty tight. You have to do a course no matter what your experience is. Guns have to be locked in a metal gun case. Ammunition has to be locked in a separate location. You cant leave them loaded when stored. No one but licensed people can have acce to the gun cabinet. All guns can only be bought via a gun shop. So i i buy your gun. You have to take it to a shop and we do the paperwork and i take it home. No Automatic or Simi auto itjout neefing it as a proffsional shooter. No handguns. Oy if you need it for your job. You can get them as a club persor colletor but definitely not for ptotction... It goes on
The gun laws need to be tighter here also. It's far too easy to get a gun and many are sold under the table at shows (we have one every year in our local fairground) and privately and those people don't report that for the most part.. Too many guns in the US and too easy to obtain one so we have all these killings. The right wing gun fans say, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'. And while there is some truth in that, the right wing nutters aren't willing to have longer and better background checks either to rule out mentally unstable people getting guns. So the killing goes on...God Bless 'Murica. :erwhat?: