Homemade Soap

F

Fish

Soap is easy and fun to do, just add Oil + NaOH and that will make sodium fatty acid salt (soap) and glycerin. Then u can add whatever you want that suits u.

Glycerin is good for the skin, it'll moisturizes it, the normal cheap soap u get in the shops won't have these glycerin in it coz they want to save cost.

If you would make a soap what kind of stuff would u like to add? Here i'm sure many would like whitening soap as the sun here is strong, i have sun burns myself, i was fair as a kid, now i look different lol.

I think you could actually make soap out of animal fats too, like for example when u r roasting a chicken, there will have the oil, u could use that oil.

I was thinking of making some soap and selling it online as a hobby someday. The soap i'll make is milk soap since it's quite rare to find and is very good for skin.

I haven't used soap in probably 30 + years now. It started to give me skin rashes when I was young. I went to a naturopath who simply said, "Don't use soap then!!". So I stopped. I am almost 58 and am not getting old man skin yet. I have been an IT tech in an Office for the last 12 years so if it caused any odor problems I would know by now :)
As near as I can tell we don't really need it, water works fine. Oh I do use it on my hands if I have been working on a car and have grease on them. But that's all.

Reactions: Fish and Aurora
I haven't used soap in probably 30 + years now. It started to give me skin rashes when I was young. I went to a naturopath who simply said, "Don't use soap then!!". So I stopped. I am almost 58 and am not getting old man skin yet. I have been an IT tech in an Office for the last 12 years so if it caused any odor problems I would know by now
As near as I can tell we don't really need it, water works fine. Oh I do use it on my hands if I have been working on a car and have grease on them. But that's all.
I think u r sensitive to sodium. If u go to the doctor they'll give u special soap, it don't have much bubbles but still work well, it's for sensitive skin. My father used to have patients with sensitive skin and he gave them that soap.

I think u could try glycerin soap also, they don't have sodium.

Caffeine would be my favorite because I prefer a shower to be the very first thing that I do in the morning. :)

Too much of any given vitamin and mineral in a short duration will give you problems and may even kill you if large portions are ingested so that is why I would manufacture the soaps out of the most beneficial sources, cut them all down to credit card like portions and rotate them rather than have a favorite. :)

Reactions: Fish
I think u r sensitive to sodium. If u go to the doctor they'll give u special soap, it don't have much bubbles but still work well, it's for sensitive skin. My father used to have patients with sensitive skin and he gave them that soap.

I think u could try glycerin soap also, they don't have sodium.
Btw the sodium i mean is sodium hydroxide not sodium chloride which is salt. Sodium hydroxide is very corrosive, it's commonly used for making soap.

Btw the sodium i mean is sodium hydroxide not sodium chloride which is salt. Sodium hydroxide is very corrosive, it's commonly used for making soap.
Thanks fish, but honestly I have not used soap other than for greasy car hands for decades and no one has ever said I pong. Including my ex-wife. Trust me she would have told me :)
So I don;t really see the need for it to be honest?

Reactions: Aurora and Fish
Thanks fish, but honestly I have not used soap other than for greasy car hands for decades and no one has ever said I pong. Including my ex-wife. Trust me she would have told me
So I don;t really see the need for it to be honest?

I see, not saying that u need to get one but if u like to try using a soap that wont cause problems to your skin, u could try those types of soap.

I see, not saying that u need to get one but if u like to try using a soap that wont cause problems to your skin, u could try those types of soap.
I did at the time, I started buying all sorts of herbal soaps, and a few were good as gold, no allergies at all. But then I would run out and forget to buy another. And I soon realized that i was just as clean without soap as with. So I just stopped using it.
In nature their is no soap, sweat and normal dirt and daily stuff easily comes off with water. I sort of thought that any additive even natural ones probably strip away your natural body oils which cant be good. I mean your body produces stuff for a reason.
In the end I could think of no compelling reason at all why we need soap, other than our mums said to use it :)
And I am no bloody Tom Cruise believe me, but given I am 58 this year. I don not have 58 year old slkkin :) My skin looks barely any different to my kids :) lol

Reactions: Aurora and Fish
I just made soap, so far it don't look good :(
i didn't follow the recipe, i just add as i like.

I add coconut milk, palm oil, honey bee wax, milk, kojic acid, turmeric and lye. I don't have the cake mixer so it was hard to mix, idk but want to see how it turn out. I made a little.

It was looking good at first until i add the ingredients.

Reactions: Aurora
I enjoy your hard work Fish. You no doubt know what I am about to say. Let me confirm it.

It's about quality and satisfaction Fish. Return to square one and mold us the most simple bar of soap that you can with as little ingredients as you can. We will call this bar of soap 'Soap' and once you do this a few times the bonding of the mix will be the most predictable that it can be and the texture will be the easiest to work with. You have a set of ingredients that you want to add to this but you ought to make that first simple bar of soap first and then start making a new type and add only one single ingredient. When satisfied start making another with an extra ingredient and so on and so forth. This might slow you down. However... You will never have to go backwards because you have mastered each stage.

Reactions: Fish
I enjoy your hard work Fish. You no doubt know what I am about to say. Let me confirm it.

It's about quality and satisfaction Fish. Return to square one and mold us the most simple bar of soap that you can with as little ingredients as you can. We will call this bar of soap 'Soap' and once you do this a few times the bonding of the mix will be the most predictable that it can be and the texture will be the easiest to work with. You have a set of ingredients that you want to add to this but you ought to make that first simple bar of soap first and then start making a new type and add only one single ingredient. When satisfied start making another with an extra ingredient and so on and so forth. This might slow you down. However... You will never have to go backwards because you have mastered each stage.

The most simple soap is Oil +NaOH = soap + glycerin. Its very easy and anyone can make that, i don't want to make that coz it's very plain and boring.

The hard part is adding the ingredients u like to it, the NaOH will react differently with different ingredients so the challenge is that u need to know how much and how to add it so it wont spoil the mixture. Like adding the ingredients to the NaOH and water first before adding oil to it, not NaOH with Oil then ingredients later.

I've just tried making one more in the morning with lesser ingredients that is turmeric + coconut milk + kojic acid and palm oil. I know where i went wrong yesterday, the way i mix it was wrong.

What are the ratios of the mix? How much of each do you use?
I don't calculate. I just play with the amount of oil.
When it's very thick i'll add a little more amount of oil, but if too much oil u can see the oil floating on top.

It's just like cooking food, if u add little oil to your cooking it will blend with the food and you can't see it but if u add alot u can see it floating on top.

Keep up the good work. You may get very good at this and make money from it.
Thanks. Not really interested in making money, mainly just like to make soap that suits me and is good for my skin.

But like to try selling it just for fun. I like to design the packaging and make my own product. It would be fun.