Is it all over ?

So am I correct in assuming you think we are alone in the universe, there is no intelligent life anywhere other than us?
It's a possibility. We could be a one off.

Mathematically there should be lots of other civilisations.

But we haven't found a single one so far.

But what is evidence in your eyes as differentiated from proof?
If evidence in not proof, then there is 1000 million terabytes of evidence for both UFO and paranormal.
But every time it is presented, we get from the skeptic, not proof so meh.
So what use use is evidence to a skeptic?

You mentioned Stephensville.
I will look it up as it is not ringing a bell.
But I assume there is no proof,

So why for you is it noteworthy?

Bye the way, why is Stephensville better than the tic tac ? Because the tic tac is wholey military. And who know what the military may get up to, for reasons of their own.

It's a possibility. We could be a one off.

Mathematically there should be lots of other civilisations.

I dont mean to be insulting, but can you not see the similarity to the dark ages with this line of thought?
We have not yet discovered proof of ET therefore ET likely does not exist?

It is a cliche but,

Absence of Proof is not Proof of absence,

..So what use use is evidence to a skeptic?..

It has to be evidence that everyone can see and examine.

Look, go back to the Kenneth Arnold sighting. Would you accept it on face value ?

...Absence of Proof is not Proof of absence,...

Agreed.

So just show one single planet that has life of any kind, let alone intelligent life. There aren't any. And lord knows we have spent enough time looking.
Probability suggest there should be thousands. But once again the theory runs ahead of the experimental proof. And all physics theory need to be supported by experiment. Or they are just conjecture.

..So what use use is evidence to a skeptic?..

It has to be evidence that everyone can see and examine.

Look, go back to the Kenneth Arnold sighting. Would you accept it on face value ?
Again I will go look it up, as it is not ringing a bell other than the name.

But why is ET so hard to imagine?
Look at the gazillion of creatures on earth. We are still discovering new ones today.
Let us stick with science. Astronomers tell us they have detected planets all over the place, that's just ones whose orbits line up with ours and interrupt the light, What about the others, then we have a lot on out Goldilocks zone.
What if there is other goldiilocks zones that we cant imagine. Are we really alone?
If you say maybe not, then it is easy to assume there might be a race of aliens so advanced we are mice to them.
They could have the teck to never be seen,
It makes no sense to me that we are alone

You are assuming that the people with the big telescopes, space probes, and sophisticated satellites are telling you everything and have your best interest at heart. But as the recent interview with Harvard astronomer Avi Loeb demonstrated, the scientific status quo is not too fond of contemplating or even disclosing data that is contrary to their worldview.

...Absence of Proof is not Proof of absence,...

Agreed.

So just show one single planet that has life of any kind, let alone intelligent life. There aren't any. And lord knows we have spent enough time looking.
Probability suggest there should be thousands. But once again the theory runs ahead of the experimental proof. And all physics theory need to be supported by experiment. Or they are just conjecture.
I have a work mate from south Africa, he is a religious nut and an Alien denier.
He asked the same question.
So, I went home and did the math.
I scaled the size of the known universe to the distance between his house in South Africa, and our work in Victoria Australia
I then looked at our first radio emissions?? 110 year ago ?? and scaled it onto the map.
If our first radio emissions headed out across the universe, it had traveled if I remember something like 1.5mm from Melbourne to South Africa. I scaled it up to a civvilization that has not nuked itself for 10, 000 years and it was omething like 1 meter.

So Seti is looking for a signal that even for a 10,000 year old civilization has a radio emmission 1 meter long between Melbourne and South Africa, and that is if the radio telescope is pointing exactly at the right spot in the universe, at the exact 1 meter interval in time between melb and sth afriuca? That we didnt miss the 1 meter transmission interval over the last 13.5 billion years?
And you ask why have we not detected ET?
:)

You are assuming that the people with the big telescopes, space probes, and sophisticated satellites are telling you everything and have your best interest at heart. But as the recent interview with Harvard astronomer Avi Loeb demonstrated, the scientific status quo is not too fond of contemplating or even disclosing data that is contrary to their worldview.
Quite so. I have a book here, 'The Trouble with Physics': Lee Smolin, that goes very deeply into that.
So we are turning back towards 'we (the people) will never know' ground.

Which is why I said, right at the beginning, I was considering giving up on the whole thing.
what is the point any more. ?

..And you ask why have we not detected ET?...

No, just saying that so far, we haven't.

Which is why I said, right at the beginning, I was considering giving up on the whole thing.
what is the point any more. ?
The point is that we can gather here and geek out over all these interesting subjects ;-)

..And you ask why have we not detected ET?...

No, just saying that so far, we haven't.
To answer that, 2 points.

1. Did you get your head round my last post and the sheer unlikelihood of an ET transmission arriving here, where we are pointing our radio telescope, in the last 13.5 billion years.

2. Who says we haven't detected them but are just too stupid to notice.,,

To answer that, 2 points.

1. Did you get your head round my last post and the sheer unlikelihood of an ET transmission arriving here, where we are pointing our radio telescope, in the last 13.5 billion years.

2. Who says we haven't detected them but are just too stupid to notice.,,
Yes, got both of them.
It is a fact (apparently) that there is terabytes of astronomical data that hasn't yet been examined. It comes in so fast the techies can't keep up.
So who knows what is in there.

So here is a thought.

I suppose some of you watch CNN. If so you will have seen the little piece they keep running that tells of the Voyager space craft. And how they will still be out there when out planet has been swallowed up by the Sun.

So, an alien finds Voyager. And works out the massages on the disc. But we who sent it are long gone. What is this alien to do with the info ?