Is it getting harder to use the internet?

H

HAL

At the moment I am using my Linux machine to access the net. I found that when I was using my laptop, running Windows XP, every time I tried to use Google Search I was presented with the Google 'stand and deliver' page. 'Allow us access to all your data or you can't use us'.

Today, I had reason to use XP. And while I was there I tried to get on this site. Same situation.

'HAH' I thought, 'I'll stop your game Google'. So I booted up my Avast Secure Browser. And typed in the site address.

And got ...

'This site can't provide a secure connection'.

So It wouldn't let me in.

I had to come back to the Linux machine to get here.

It's all getting silly.

HAL

Kind of makes me think of that book American gods.. Don't ask me why but it does.

LETA,

..Don't fight the machinery. Throw yourself into Google's loving arms ;-)..

I notice that from today we now have to accept cookies before we can log in.

How weirdly coincidental.

HAL ;)

Oddly, that hasn't happened again.

I wonder if it was because I came straight from the XP machine and onto the Linux. I had to change the LAN connection to do this.

Well...Windows XP is old and outdated...that's probably why it doesn't mesh with Google.
I have no problem with anything on my laptop but it's brand new with all the new software I imagine.
:unsure:

Well...Windows XP is old and outdated...that's probably why it doesn't mesh with Google.
I have no problem with anything on my laptop but it's brand new with all the new software I imagine.
:unsure:
Agreed, but XP is relatively bullet-proof.

Agreed, but XP is relatively bullet-proof.
Bullet proof...? From what? I have never had anything bad happen to my computers except one of them simply crashed due to bad hardware....it just shut down and the guy who looked at it said it was not a virus.
What do you do to warrant such concern on being bullet proof?

By bullet proof I mean It has never crashed for no apparent reason. Something Windows 95/98 was very prone to doing.

Also there is a script I use called Tron that helps with all the big brother crap you get with window 10. Turns off Cortana keylogging and a whole bunch of stuff. You have to rerun it though after a windoze update as the updates often turn stuff back on. Again it's not perfect but every bit helps. I also use duckduckgo instead of Google. It's not too bad