Magical Mushrooms on Mars?

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
OLUiUUm.jpg

Image: NASA
A provocative May 2021 paper published in the journal Advances in Microbiology, suggests that fungi is currently thriving in the soil of Mars. The claim comes after a team of scientists analyzed ground footage taken by the Opportunity Rover and the HiRISE satellite. In a collection of images, a series of strange, fungus-like spherical bodies are seen populating a patch of Meridiani Planum, a plain located two degrees south of Mars' equator.

The region, known for containing interesting features and rock anomalies like the hematite spheres known as "Blueberries," which were discovered on a rocky outcrop inside Eagle Crater, is now yielding yet another mystery that could potentially change our understanding of biology on the red planet.

According to the study, sequential photographs taken over several seasons on Mars, reveal a crop of puffball-like specimens similar to Basidiomycotaa - a fungal organism found on earth. Much to the surprise of the researchers, the mysterious mushrooms were seen to be re-growing inside the soil tracks of the Martian rover after being previously ran over by the science vehicle, a compelling indication of some sort of underlying biology.

Photographed-by-rover-Curiosity-Sol-143-documents-area-of-soil-devoid-of-spherical.jpg

Further photo analysis also shows areas previously devoid of the spherical oddities suddenly occupied by the plant-like structures. At present, it's unknown what mechanism is at work or how these potential organisms are surviving the harsh conditions on Mars, but NASA is looking into it and soon we will know whether life is officially present on our red neighbor.

Sol-1145-vs-Sol-1148-Nine-spherical-and-semi-spherical-specimens-lay-upon-the-coarse.jpg

Sure look like Mushrooms. It would be fun to eat a few if they were not poisonous.
Puts a new meaning to going on a trip :)
Seriosly though it would be no surprise. While not exrtemphiles, Mushies and fungus grow in some crazy wierd placed on earth.

Look like indian bread mushrooms. Honestly, it is not surprising. I recall that a while back they found some strange trees as well. NASA is hiding stuff from us.

Look like indian bread mushrooms. Honestly, it is not surprising. I recall that a while back they found some strange trees as well. NASA is hiding stuff from us.
The Mushies would not surprise me, but it would be unlikely to have a tree on its own. Just to survive they would need to propagate to at least a bit of a forest. But you never know I guess.