Meet the Victorian Ceiling Walkers

A

Alien Origins

The circus arts have produced countless creative and innovative performers, from fire manipulators and animal trainers to human cannonballs and hair-hanging wonders. But among the most unique acts were the Victorian-era ceiling walkers. That’s right—people walking upside-down, on the ceiling. Like a gecko.

Hey Doom Junkee,
Welcome aboard. Nice to see another face here :) I hope you enjoy your stay.
You would have to imagine it is magnetic boots or something. The Victorian era was light on science, big on spectacle, the image (if faithful to the artist) shows substantial boots. I would imagine that though no doubt difficult, it would be not impossible to construct a set of magnetic boots and a metal walkway and a sufficiently light female to do it.
I was at the supermarket a couple of days ago and saw a young lady with her partner, I imagine she was late 20s early 30s.
She was not anorexic but my god she was slight. She could not have weighed more than a 12 year old skinny girl.

Hey @Dr Wu your our resident scientist. When did we discover rare earth magnets?
Could this illusion have been achieved back in the Victorian era?

ceiling-walker-801x1024.jpg

If the image is faithful to the event. There is a suspended ceiling and big boots.
If someone could truly walk on a ceiling, it would I imagine be any ceiling.
I smell magnetic boots, or some other trickery :)
The circular inset is showing something mischievous.

If the image is faithful to the event. There is a suspended ceiling and big boots.
If someone could truly walk on a ceiling, it would I imagine be any ceiling.
I smell magnetic boots, or some other trickery :)
The circular inset is showing something mischievous.
The article explains how they did it and what they used.

Hey Doom Junkee,
Welcome aboard. Nice to see another face here :) I hope you enjoy your stay.
You would have to imagine it is magnetic boots or something. The Victorian era was light on science, big on spectacle, the image (if faithful to the artist) shows substantial boots. I would imagine that though no doubt difficult, it would be not impossible to construct a set of magnetic boots and a metal walkway and a sufficiently light female to do it.
I was at the supermarket a couple of days ago and saw a young lady with her partner, I imagine she was late 20s early 30s.
She was not anorexic but my god she was slight. She could not have weighed more than a 12 year old skinny girl.

Hey @Dr Wu your our resident scientist. When did we discover rare earth magnets?
Could this illusion have been achieved back in the Victorian era?
No idea...I'll have to read the article too.
But I do know that rare earth elements have been known about before the 20th century but rare earth magnets...? no idea.

The article said she used 'suction cups'(pneumatic)..not magnets.
Yeah helps when you read it properly. Like I said, I had the music going, playing minecraft and browsing. I looked with my eyes closed. :)

The Victorians, though very industrious and clever, were a superstitious lot.

That may be why so many ghost and spirit related tales come from that time.

It would have been a bad time to be poor.

But it was around than that science and technology really began to get into it's stride.

(Isn't 'strides' an Ozzy slang term for trousers ?)

It would have been a bad time to be poor.

But it was around than that science and technology really began to get into it's stride.

(Isn't 'strides' an Ozzy slang term for trousers ?)
Yep haha well spotted. I love our slang. Yeah I forgot about the poverty. Maybe ill stay in my time

Reminds me of the man who asked a guy if he was Australian.

'Mate, caint you hear the strine ?'

Ah well, got to go cook the evening meal. My signature 'leak and potato with sausage soup'.

Back later.