Moon's Radiation Levels Lethal

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
radiationonmoon_1024.jpg

Image: NASA

A permanent human presence on the Moon will prove a difficult undertaking according to a recent paper published in the September issue of Science Advances. The study, drawing on data from China’s Chang’E 4 lander instruments, described the hostile environment that awaits future settlers of our natural satellite. The results from the German-Chinese collaboration indicate that the amount of surface radiation on the Moon is greater than previously estimated by NASA's Apollo missions of the sixties and seventies:

Human exploration of the Moon is associated with substantial risks to astronauts from space radiation. On the surface of the Moon, this consists of the chronic exposure to galactic cosmic rays and sporadic solar particle events. The interaction of this radiation field with the lunar soil leads to a third component that consists of neutral particles, i.e., neutrons and gamma radiation. The radiation levels we measured on the Moon are about 200 times higher than on the surface of the Earth and five to 10 times higher than on a flight from New York to Frankfurt.

These levels of ionizing radiation could potentially hinder any prolonged surface activity by humans, which will be forced to explore the terrain using heavily shielded vehicles or robots and spend most of their time inside habitats covered in over thirty inches of lunar soil.

Experts who have analyzed the results from the lunar radiation probe, however, are optimistic that practical solutions are available to deal with this problem. They cite the abundance of lava tubes found throughout the lunar plains as possible underground habitats for the astronauts.

These natural formations could greatly reduce the exposure to the constant bombardment of highly energetic particles, which are known to be extremely harmful to human tissue. In addition to providing shelter, the naturally-formed tunnels would also reduce the logistical nightmare and cost of transporting all the heavy shielding required to safely house the future pioneers of our closest solar system companion.

Hmmm, if humans are ever to be a genuine space faring civilization we better come up with an Anti Radiation Pill.
Imagine 100 years from now with an moon or mars colony. Your gonna have as always the haves and have nots.
You might have a mining community with less access to safety gear and enclosures. What about 500 years when the population gets large enough to have unemployed and people living on the streets whatever that may mean. You could easily have an underclass of people suffering radiation sickness and whatever other sicknesses we will find in space due to there economic and social position.
There is a lot to overcome before we have a true Sci Fi style presence in space.

NASA allegedly kept the surface radiation measurements from the Apollo missions secret. This new study reveals that the Apollo astronauts should have been exposed to severe radiation dosages, yet they returned to Earth in good condition. Do you see a disconnect between the two narratives?

NASA allegedly kept the surface radiation measurements from the Apollo missions secret. This new study reveals that the Apollo astronauts should have been exposed to severe radiation dosages, yet they returned to Earth in good condition. Do you see a disconnect between the two narratives?
So which was the lie? there havebeen a lot fo folks in space and to the moon. Has there been any increased incidents of illness with any of them that we know of.

So which was the lie? there havebeen a lot fo folks in space and to the moon. Has there been any increased incidents of illness with any of them that we know of.
Low orbit is safer due to Earth's magnetic field protecting you from cosmic rays and others stuff. A 3-day exploratory trip to the Moon should have irradiated the Apollo astronauts to a crisp based on the newly-measured levels of background radiation.

Low orbit is safer due to Earth's magnetic field protecting you from cosmic rays and others stuff. A 3-day exploratory trip to the Moon should have irradiated the Apollo astronauts to a crisp based on the newly-measured levels of background radiation.
So whats going on? Why the apparent deception?

Oh I see. Lol.
I'm disappointed I thought you were going to point out some huge conspiracy that I missed as usual. Haha

• Haha
Reactions: LETA
I suspect most of our activities on the Moon can be carried out underground.

We would want to be using it as a kicking-off place for further space exploration. Or for mining minerals.

All this can be done underground. The Germans got underground rocket manufacturing down to a fine art; and that was in the middle of a war.

We also have expertise in working around things like nuclear reactors. A very high risk occupation, but we manage with only minimum problems. Well, most of the time.

We will have to go there eventually. I can see no future exploration of Mars without this as practice.

HAL.

I'm not a scientist, but they spent very short periods on the Moon - like hours maybe - so we must take into consideration the lenght of time spent plus the intensity of exposure. If we are to be there long periods than this becomes a big concern.

I myself have zero interest in space travel. I hope I never have to travel somewhere. I'm fine here. Earth is the perfect place to inhabit and live out dreams and desires. I don't even leave my state of New Jersey lol My big adventure is if I go to Europe or look to tap into the Universe within my own consciousness via RV that can take me anywhere. Moon, Mars, NYC, no thanks.

I'm not a scientist, but they spent very short periods on the Moon - like hours maybe - so we must take into consideration the lenght of time spent plus the intensity of exposure. If we are to be there long periods than this becomes a big concern.

I myself have zero interest in space travel. I hope I never have to travel somewhere. I'm fine here. Earth is the perfect place to inhabit and live out dreams and desires. I don't even leave my state of New Jersey lol My big adventure is if I go to Europe or look to tap into the Universe within my own consciousness via RV that can take me anywhere. Moon, Mars, NYC, no thanks.
Apparently, the levels on the moon were as high as 25 Sv/hr or so. A half-hour exposure to those levels of radiation could be lethal :-0

We would want to be using it as a kicking-off place for further space exploration. Or for mining minerals.

All this can be done underground. The Germans got underground rocket manufacturing down to a fine art; and that was in the middle of a war.

We also have expertise in working around things like nuclear reactors. A very high risk occupation, but we manage with only minimum problems. Well, most of the time.

We will have to go there eventually. I can see no future exploration of Mars without this as practice.

HAL.

HAL.
Hey Hal welcome aboard the good ship Babble. I think your on the money with living underground. I have seen a lot of talk and images of proposed moon bases above ground but I don't know how the address the radiation levels. And any glass dome with vegetables growing above ground is going to have to have radiation glass. Otherwise we might mutate the tomato patch into Trffids.

Hey Dundee,

Thanks for the welcome.

Long time since I met you on that other site. I do believe a mutual friend will be along soon.

I am thinking that the first underground Moon base could be constructed entirely by remotes. Controlled from Lunar orbit or even from Earth.

Once a basic living space has been put together, the place could be expanded by a skeleton crew.

Bore into the side of a crater, line the walls with some kind of shotcrete, fit doors and pressurise . Much safer than sitting on the surface.
And when the time comes to build on the surface, use big blocks cut from the ground. No need to be subtle.

It worked for our ancients.

HAL.

Hey Dundee,

Thanks for the welcome.

Long time since I met you on that other site. I do believe a mutual friend will be along soon.

I am thinking that the first underground Moon base could be constructed entirely by remotes. Controlled from Lunar orbit or even from Earth.

Once a basic living space has been put together, the place could be expanded by a skeleton crew.

Bore into the side of a crater, line the walls with some kind of shotcrete, fit doors and pressurise . Much safer than sitting on the surface.
And when the time comes to build on the surface, use big blocks cut from the ground. No need to be subtle.

It worked for our ancients.

HAL.
Yeah been a while for sure :)

I never thought of boring into craters, that would save a lot of effort.
It would be great if the martian soil could somehow made into a type of concrete.
If the lack of water can be overcome I am betting someone could 3d print structures.

Maybe a machine that has a borer on one end and a 3D printer on the other.
Drill and build as you go,

That could work. use the borings to make concrete and form tunnel linings. Then place the linings right behind the boring head. A bit like the idea of a railroad progressing as it lays the track in front of itself.

There is a technique used in making castings that uses Carbon Dioxide to set a mixture of sand and water glass ( I forget the chemical name) MAbe there is a way to use that to make tunnel lining blocks.

Another way would be simply a big tunnel boring machine. Make lots of tunnels all interconnected. With air tight bulkheads every so often.
Maybe a deep drilling test will show that there is sufficient heat below the surface to provide geothermal heating.

But I think a small reactor would be the most reliable source of power to start with.

Lots of possibilities.