New Discovery Rocks Physics

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
N5LUCYZ.jpg

Image: Fermilab

The scientific world dedicated to the study of high energy physics has been shaken to its very foundations after results of an experiment - twenty-one years in the making - were released earlier this year. The g-2 muon experiment, a collaboration of particle physicists studying muons, a subatomic particle closely related to the electron but with a short lifespan of microseconds, yielded an anomalous result that may indicate the presence of a novel field not presently accounted for in the Standard Model of particle physics.

The experiment, originally conducted at Brookhaven National Laboratory in New York, and subsequently relocated to Fermi National Accelerator in Batavia Illinois, subjected a slew of muons to a strong magnetic field in order to measure potential deviations in their magnetic moment. As the muons circulate around the particle accelerator ring, they slowly decay into positrons that shoot off in precise directions as predicted by theory. If these trajectories vary even a little, this may indicate that the subatomic decay byproducts of the muon are interacting with a new, unknown field that is altering their path.

As of today, the statistical result of the experiment signals the tantalizing possibility that Nature has not disclosed all of its secrets yet. While the collaboration is cautious about calling the results a definitive proof of new physics, they are optimistic that further tests with new and improved accelerators scheduled to come online in the next decade will push the result past any doubts.

I heard this on the radio at lunch time today, very cool. First thing I thought of is could it be the effect of Dark Matter.
Wouldn't it be interesting if thats the mystery new matter.

Some scientists are saying this is a nothingburger. Let's wait for Sabine to make a video about it.

Oh my i can't think properly today, i didn't sleep well for 3 days already, i only can brain simple stuff.

I'm uncertain meself, but reputable media ppl are saying that it is going to be huge. I hope it is true cuz I can't look at out-of-focus, grainy pics no more.
Yeah fair enough, me too. SO how many hours from now do you expect it? We are in different time zones so wait time is easier than an o'clock :)

Probably by tomorrow for you. The rumor is that it might be coming from journalist George Knapp himself. People are speculating that it could be the photo or the video of the triangle coming out of the ocean that Navy pilots took off the coast of Virginia.

Probably by tomorrow for you. The rumor is that it might be coming from journalist George Knapp himself. People are speculating that it could be the photo or the video of the triangle coming out of the ocean that Navy pilots took off the coast of Virginia.
Wow that huge if it is. Fingers crossed. Thanks. Hey wouldnt it be great if ET arrived and we could clone ourselves. I would clone one me to go to work. an I am sure i could think or other uses ;)

Reactions: Fish
I don't know how ethical that would be. After all, a clone is a sentient human being entitled to the same rights as any other biological. I wouldn't be opposed to androids, tho.

I don't know how ethical that would be. After all, a clone is a sentient human being entitled to the same rights as any other biological. I wouldn't be opposed to androids, tho.
Yeah I agree, I was just being silly. I would not do it even if I could. I imagine that should Aliens arrive there would be many wonders to change the world without cloning.

I heard this on the radio at lunch time today, very cool. First thing I thought of is could it be the effect of Dark Matter.
Wouldn't it be interesting if thats the mystery new matter.

Or Dark Matter could be the manifestation of this.

I always claimed that we were missing something.