Now, this is odd.

H

HAL

Just seen this on Bloomberg headlines.

NASA has chosen Nokia to build a cell phone network on the Moon. in 2022.

Now, it's not April 1st. So what is this all about.
There is no one there and no one has been there for half a century. Why would you need a cell phone network ?

HAL.

And 2022 is pretty soon too?
Well I guess that means it is either a misrepresentation of what they asked, or we are heading back to the moon.
Or... we never really left which would not surprise me at all.

Ahh OK, 2028 is the goal, good time to be a Nokia techo, kind of redefines the concept of living away from home allowance and travel allowance. Do they take old telecommunications techs like me. I am up for it. At least now if I fall off a ladder it will be a soft landing on the moon. :)

Kewl. I hear there is going to be internet on Mars. They are already working on it:

Well if there is going to be internet on Mars there going to need a ufo forum. We should be the first. 😁

Why a 4G network when 5G is being rolled out now ? After all it seems it will be a minimum of eight years before it is done anyway. Who knows what comms system we will have by then.

Why a 4G network when 5G is being rolled out now ? After all it seems it will be a minimum of eight years before it is done anyway. Who knows what comms system we will have by then.
I suspect it is like building a space craft of some sort. By the time you plan and settle on a design, given the time taken to build it, it is already somewhat outdated. But good question though, 5g is up and running now so wht nt use it. Perhaps it is cost or a technical reason. But as they said in the article, it is liley to work better on mars given its lack of..well everything.