One small snag.

H

HAL

One of the favourite solutions to intergalactic space travel is to send the people and equipment to some far distant place via a mass transporter of some kind. Sort of 'One to beam up, Scotty'.

There is one thing that is usually overlooked.

You have to have a receiving station at the other end. (I do know that Star Trek don't bother with this 'detail'.)

So, you first have to get your pioneer crew and the receiving station to the other end at normal rocket speeds.

Then you can start your light speed transportation.

Damn! There's always a problem.

Reactions: Area201
Good catch Hal

stop it star trek GIF by rotomangler

Well, it is possible only in theory but has a better chance than the star trek transporter, which actually violates the no-cloning theorem :-0

I wish I could have cloned my old Kelpie, died of a snake bite at 16, best dog I have ever seen.

Well, it is possible only in theory but has a better chance than the star trek transporter, which actually violates the no-cloning theorem :-0
Surely you are not cloning if the object is sent to some other place ?

That's wut wormholes are for. You just walk into it an voila! - you're on the other side!
I should have said 'always more than one snag'.

Apparently no one would know what is at the other end of the worm hole. Could be the inside of a star.

So there is no way that any communication can be returned.

All seems rather risky.

But there does appear to be one certainty. For our children's, children's children ( Many generatons away) they will have to have found a way out of here. There is no choice.

Surely you are not cloning if the object is sent to some other place ?
My understanding of the star trek transporter is that you are deconstructed (essentially destroyed) at the subatomic level inside the apparatus and then a reconstructed (or an approximate ) copy of you appears at another location, but I could be wrong.

My understanding of the star trek transporter is that you are deconstructed (essentially destroyed) at the subatomic level inside the apparatus and then a reconstructed (or an approximate) copy of you appears at another location, but I could be wrong.
I always thought it disassembled you and then with the same atomic material reconstructed you elsewhere...but I also could be wrong.

I always thought it disassembled you and then with the same atomic material reconstructed you elsewhere...but I also could be wrong.
I think the key issue here is that you are dematerialized during the process, so can we say for certain that whatever appears on the other location is the same you, or a new identical copy of you?

Apparently no one would know what is at the other end of the worm hole. Could be the inside of a star.
In theory, you could if you create your own wormhole rather than depend on a naturally occurring one. If you do a quick Google search for "Thorne traversable wormholes," you'll find tonnes of info :-0

"Transporting really is the safest way to travel."
Geordi La Forge, 2369 ("Realm of Fear")

Refit Constitution-class transporter room

Defiant-class transporter room

The transporter was a subspace device capable of almost instantaneously transporting an object from one location to another, by using matter-energy conversion to transform matter into energy, then beaming it to or from a chamber where it is reconverted back into its original pattern. (TOS: "The Squire of Gothos", "The Savage Curtain")

Alternate names for the transporter included matter stream converter, energy-matter scrambler, or transporting device. (TOS: "The Savage Curtain", "The Empath"; ENT: "Broken Bow", "Vanishing Point"; TNG: "Ship in a Bottle"; VOY: "Ex Post Facto") The Organians referred to Klingon transporters as material transmission units. (TOS: "Errand of Mercy") The Ferengi referred to theirs as a matter-energy device. (TNG: "The Last Outpost") Spock determined that the device used by the Vians that beamed himself, Leonard McCoy, and James T. Kirk to an underground location on the planet Minara II, was what he described as a matter-energy scrambler. (TOS: "The Empath")