Science & Reality

D

Dundee

This is 29m well spent, as I watched it I was waiting for the religious "Proof of God" to arrive, It did not.
It's presentation has the feel of a 2nd rate conspiracy website, yet it didn't end up there.
All I did was say "wow" for 30 mins.

I see flashes of so much in this video, so many Science documentaries, the Holographic Universe idea, Spirituality, maybe even aspects of Psychic stuff like remote viewing, esp, healing such as Reiki and others?

I have not looked at the references he posts, so I can't comment on their quality, but he seems to quote a lot of credible sources and experiments.
What do you think.

Reactions: LETA
If the research is to be believed they recorded positive changes in DNA with positive emotions and visa versa when in range of the body's electrical field. The implications of that are staggering.

An interesting video....but many of the statements are from parascience and not repeated in other independent instances.
Quantum Physics is certainly strange and we are just begining to understand it...but far more needs to be studied to say any of this is as he claims. Braden has been around promoting this approach for some time.
Some physicists even in the early days were talking about this 'connection' to the Universe long before new age ideas.
The Tao Of Physics was written in 1975 by Capra....and before that people like Schrodinger talked about these connections to reality via Vedanta. So these ideas are not new.

Gregg Braden (born June 28, 1954)[citation needed] is an American New Age author, who is known for his appearances in Ancient Aliens and his show Missing Links, and other publications linking science and spirituality. He became noted for his claim that the magnetic polarity of the Earth was about to reverse.[1][2][3] Braden argued that the change in the earth's magnetic field might have effects on human DNA.[4] He has also argued that human emotions affect DNA and that collective prayer may have healing physical effects.[5][6] He has published many books through the Hay House publishing house. In 2009, his book Fractal Time was on the bestseller list of The New York Times.[7]His works consist mainly of parascience.

The Society for Scientific Exploration, or SSE, is a group committed to studying fringe science.[1] The opinions of the organization in regard to what are the proper limits of scientific exploration are often at odds with those of mainstream science.[2] Critics argue that the SSE is devoted to disreputable ideas far outside the scientific mainstream.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal opinion is that there probably is truth to the idea we are 'connected' in some manner to the Universe as a whole.
These ideas have been the fundamental theme in Hinduism(vedanta) , Buddhism, and Taoism for millenia.

Reactions: Dundee
That would require the Universe to be something that can be 'communicated' with. That it is a thinking entity, and not a gradually cooling remnant of a distant explosive creative event.

I would suspect that any 'entity' out there would be outside the physical universe.

But haven't the faintest clue who, where or what it would be. Nor the form it would take.

Reactions: Dundee
He does reference photons multiple times ,but I think he's using them as an example of fundamental particles of the uiniverse because they were used in the two physics experiments he specifically brings up. The double split one with photons is an old experiment showing Quantum entanglement and connectedness which is the point he's making. IMO he mispeaks when he implies that we and the world are made of these particles, but again I think he means 'all fundamental particles in quantum reality' which of course photons are one of the types.
BTW..I'm not supporting all of his statements in this video because we are a long way from proving this human oneness with Reality as he presents it....but the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, Quantum entanglement, Quantum observational dynamics (think Schrodinger's Cat), and similar ideas are very much a part of modern physics which seem to point to some very strange connections in the universe at large which seem to rely on human observation and presence.

Not Schrodingers cat again.

I have always considered that idea to be simply a bit of sophistry. The kind of thing Schrodinger apparently liked to do.
Anyone else would have said 'The cat can be considered to be either dead or alive. We can't tell until we look'.

It is like me saying my car is both outside my house and not outside my house. Until I look I wont know.
And, no doubt, he would have argued that by looking I have influenced the experiment. Collapsed the field.

Well, big deal, Irwin. Of course I won't know until I look.

No folks, it's ridiculous.

As to the double-slit experiment.

There is one thing I can not find out. Where do they photon beam ?

Anyone any ideas on that point ?

HAL.

Matter and everything in the universe is made out of photons? I don't think so. :eeks2:
I found the video interesting but wasn't convinced about everything. As an atheist the thing I didn't believe is when he was saying that when people pray for you at the other side of the globe you feel better. Really? How? Please don't tell me God makes them better unless you've got convincing evidence that God exists because I don't believe in God.

Isn't everything in the Universe, including photons, made out of squiggly little fields that are both there and not there at the same time ?

Not Schrodingers cat again.

I have always considered that idea to be simply a bit of sophistry. The kind of thing Schrodinger apparently liked to do.
Anyone else would have said 'The cat can be considered to be either dead or alive. We can't tell until we look'.

It is like me saying my car is both outside my house and not outside my house. Until I look I wont know.
And, no doubt, he would have argued that by looking I have influenced the experiment. Collapsed the field.

Well, big deal, Irwin. Of course I won't know until I look.

No folks, it's ridiculous.

As to the double-slit experiment.

There is one thing I can not find out. Where do they photon beam ?

Anyone any ideas on that point ?

HAL.
Here knock yourself out.....
I agree that one can say it's 'sophistry' but yet such things are observed in Quantum theory...either one understands it or they don't.
I'm not sure I get it.
;)

Isn't everything in the Universe, including photons, made out of squiggly little fields that are both there and not there at the same time ?
Well...supposedly all matter and energy is exchangable and made of both wave and particles(duality idea) depending on it's actions and our actions....go figure.

Yeah, I have read lots on this subject. But here is what I really have trouble with.

There is a screen. And this screen has two slits in it.

But no one says exactly how far apart the two slits are. And this is important (at least to me).

A photon is very small. Sub-microscopically small. But it will travel in a straight line.

So it will be aimed at some point on the screen.

If it is aimed at a point located at the centre of the area between the two slits, how doe sit even go through either slit ?

The width of the area must be orders of magnitude greater than the width of the photon.

Why doesn't it just hit the screen every time, not going through either slit ?

I found the video interesting but wasn't convinced about everything. As an atheist the thing I didn't believe is when he was saying that when people pray for you at the other side of the globe you feel better. Really? How? Please don't tell me God makes them better unless you've got convincing evidence that God exists because I don't believe in God.
The issue I have is that the gentleman is clearly not a scientist, so he's misunderstanding wut the experiments are all about. Whenever possible, i try to get my science from actual scientists who have done the hard miles in academia. Conversely, if I want to explore theology, I don't seek out scientists. Laymen trying to interpret science experiments to suit their personal worldview is always a recipe for confusion, imo.

But the fields have different states such as spin. Even if you accept the fact that everything is "fields," they still differ from each other.