The Beirut Explosion Conspiracy

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
800px-Damages_after_2020_Beirut_explosions_1.jpg

Image: Creative Commons (CC)
It's being rumored that the powerful explosion that shook the city of Lebanon could have been a terrorist attack or even an act of aggression by a foreign nation. The incident occurred in a port warehouse storing a confiscated 2013 cargo of ammonium nitrate from an abandoned Russian ship. The volatile fertilizer cargo was destined for Mozambique -- but the vessel and its crew soon found themselves stranded in the middle eastern city due to economic hardship, according to sources.

After several years of improper storage and a possible sinister hand behind the event, 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate went out in a blast that rivaled that of the most powerful conventional ordnance in the US arsenal. The explosion devastated a vast portion of the port area and left over 135 dead and 5,000 injured.

Soon after news of the catastrophe reached the US, President Trump commented that intelligence reports from the brass assured him that this was a deliberate attack by a "bomb of some kind."

It's being rumored that the powerful explosion that shook the city of Lebanon could have been a terrorist attack or even an act of aggression by a foreign nation. The incident occurred in a port warehouse storing a confiscated 2013 cargo of ammonium nitrate from an abandoned Russian ship. The volatile fertilizer cargo was destined for Mozambique -- but the vessel and its crew soon found themselves stranded in the middle eastern city due to economic hardship, according to sources.

After several years of improper storage and a possible sinister hand behind the event, 2,750 metric tons of ammonium nitrate went out in a blast that rivaled that of the most powerful conventional ordnance in the US arsenal. The explosion devastated a vast portion of the port area and left over 135 dead and 5,000 injured.

Soon after news of the catastrophe reached the US, President Trump commented that intelligence reports from the brass assured him that this was a deliberate attack by a "bomb of some kind."

Why does the bigger countries care about Beirut anymore.
Didn't the west forget about that 1 decade or two ago?
Terrorists maybe?

Why does the bigger countries care about Beirut anymore.
Didn't the west forget about that 1 decade or two ago?
Terrorists maybe?
Probably Iran. They want the whole region to blow up in chaos so they can intervene with their militias and whatnot.

Probably Iran. They want the whole region to blow up in chaos so they can intervene with their militias and whatnot.
When I was at UNI i tutored a lovely girl from Iran. Very sweet. Sounds like a nice place if you get past the politics and the nasty bits.

When I was at UNI i tutored a lovely girl from Iran. Very sweet. Sounds like a nice place if you get past the politics and the nasty bits.
Nice food, too. Over here, we used to frequent a Persian restaurant. Radicalism is the root of their problem.

It did not go off on it's own....Fire alone will not set it off...I have seen first hand what this stuff can do and it ain't pretty...

It did not go off on it's own....Fire alone will not set it off...I have seen first hand what this stuff can do and it ain't pretty...
Indeed. I'm not buying the story that some welders set off the fire by accident while repairing a metal door.

Someone posted a video claiming to be smoking gun of the attack, but I think it was debunked:

Someone posted a video claiming to be smoking gun of the attack, but I think it was debunked:

Thats pretty typical with these kinds of things...Generally the more extravagant a theory becomes the less likely it's true...

The reports we had here said there was a fireworks factory fire that caused it. And reading the link here, although you are right AO that fire alone will not under normal conditions ignite ammonium nitrate, read the abstract in the link below, down near the end. It almost describes the composition of fireworks.

"...Transition from burning to detonation may be less difficult at elevated temperatures with an intimately mixed with fuels that include polyethylene, paper and fuels oil when these were contained in a vessel with restricted vents..."

That is a pretty similar construction to Fireworks, and if there was indeed an adjacent Fireworks factory that caught fire, that would be a hell of a lot of elevated temperature paper wrapped heat sources with a restricted vents.

Thinking about that I don't smell a rat at this point.

This is a case of it being stored improperly....Here is a pretty good article:

What I am saying is take for instance the Oklahoma City bombing of the Federal Building...The Ammonium Nitrate by itself did not cause the blast, it was when C4 and diesel fuel were added that it became unstable and BOOM!

This is a case of it being stored improperly....Here is a pretty good article:

What I am saying is take for instance the Oklahoma City bombing of the Federal Building...The Ammonium Nitrate by itself did not cause the blast, it was when C4 and diesel fuel were added that it became unstable and BOOM!
Yep I know what you mean, maybe it was reported different where you are?? Dunno,
In my neck of OZ they all said it was fireworks that started first then it ignited the other stuff. The link i posted agrees with you in that flame alone wont do it, that it needs a hotter source, but it also almost describes fireworks as a means to set it off.

If soimeone comes forward and claims responsibility maybe... But until then I think it was just an accidenbt.