The Macabre Story of Sin-Eaters

A

Alien Origins

Since at least the early 1600’s and all the way to the earliest years of the 20th century, “sin-eaters” and “sin-eating”, a rather macabre profession that arose from folklore legends and peculiar supernatural beliefs, was a common line of work across the rural areas of the British Isles.

Grieving family members of the recently deceased would pay the village sin-eaters to rid their departed loved ones from all the sins they had accumulated during their lives, and the sin-eaters would then perform an eerie ritual that supposedly allowed the dead to enter Heaven.

Not to be too skeptical about old english traditions. I wonder how this went over with the church back in the day. Vicious retribution was the norm back in the old days. Eating souls would be frowned upon by the church as evil surely. Killing anyone who did not toe the line was pretty common.

Don't know..Imagine it could not be much worse than those Piss Prophets...

I think it likely that the account of them are eggagerated. Something tells me they would have been burned at the stake.

Although nothing would surprise me from those times.

Did you do any follow up on the story. I haven't had time as I am pretty busy at work with all this cocid stuff. Can't see much truth in it, although..... Kooky people have been around for a long time.

How funny would it be to advertise it as a current profession. Eating souls is my business. Anyway I better get ready for work. Days begun here in my part of the world.

I think it likely that the account of them are eggagerated. Something tells me they would have been burned at the stake.

Although nothing would surprise me from those times.
The below article is from Dr Lindsey Fitzharris which may clear up a lot for you....And no its not exaggerated..

Well it seems I was close to the mark at least. Eating sins was considered evil by the church.

Although the folks back then were a superstitious lot. Leaving out the crazy idea you can eat a sin. Leaving out the fact the people paying must have noticed they have no way to tell if it worked.

Kooky neighbor's could accuse you of all manner of things on the slightest evidence. Not withstanding the church had eyes every where. Once a neighbour knew you had enlisted the services of a soul eater. What to stop the church burning you beside the soul eater as a beleiver in evil.

I wonder why the supporters got away with is. Times then were very different. Society put the onus on you to prove you were not evil, the accuser didn't have to prove you were.

You would be lucky to live to old age I imagine back then. Our own human nature was pretty darn cruel back then. Understandable I guess given how superstitious folks were and how poorly educated as well.

Well I post these things mainly due to their strange and weird nature...We just really do not have a forum here for all the ones I do have...So its a crap shoot as to where to put them.

Well I post these things mainly due to their strange and weird nature...We just really do not have a forum here for all the ones I do have...So its a crap shoot as to where to put them.
As for not having a forum here. Some of us are very appreciative of the home leta has provided for us here.
Some big voids were created in our world some time ago. Heaps of people found themselves without an internet home.
Our fearless leader leta has been wonderful for a bunch of people like us. Loyalty is a good virtue, we are all very loyal to leta and our home here. Each to their own, but you should try loyalty to see how it fits, it might be a new sensation for you.

Time is ticking away here so I better get some work done . Right now I have a bunch of computers that need my attention all over the place so I have miles to drive. Only think I can suggest! Leta has put in a ton of work here for us all. Lets all play nice and be appreciative of her work and not criticize our home.

As for not having a forum here. Some of us are very appreciative of the home leta has provided for us here.
Some big voids were created in our world some time ago. Heaps of people found themselves without an internet home.
Our fearless leader leta has been wonderful for a bunch of people like us. Loyalty is a good virtue, we are all very loyal to leta and our home here. Each to their own, but you should try loyalty to see how it fits, it might be a new sensation for you.
You apparently misunderstood what I mean't...When I said there was no forum here I was referring to the fact that there is no forum to post the strange, weird or unusual....

What about the cryptozoology thread ?

Click on the 'forums' Tag to find out what thread relates to what.

What about the cryptozoology thread ?

Click on the 'forums' Tag to find out what thread relates to what.
Well that could be if your talking strange and weird unusual creatures it fits...But I am talking Freak Shows,Circus History, Cabinets of Curiosity, Weird Art, Oddities both vintage and historical those kind of things that there is no forum for....It's not hard to grasp. I guess I could start my own forum but I don't want the headache....

Well that could be if your talking strange and weird unusual creatures it fits...But I am talking Freak Shows,Circus History, Cabinets of Curiosity, Weird Art, Oddities both vintage and historical those kind of things that there is no forum for....It's not hard to grasp. I guess I could start my own forum but I don't want the headache....
It is a matter of popularity and interest. Initially LETA created a lot of categories and topics but many did not get used and sat dormant. So some time back there was a bit of a site cleanup and the unused areas were removed.
I'm sure if you start a topic in the general babble area as Doc said should it become hugely Popular LETA would consider another area.
But just create it in the general area and see how it goes.