The Mystery of Lucifer's Fall

LETA

4☆babbler
Staff
800px-Terracotta_statue_of_Baal-Hammon_on_a_throne_AvL.JPG

Image: Creative Commons (CC)
Contrary to popular belief, the primeval fall of Lucifer is not clearly illustrated in the biblical narrative. Although it's widely believed that the following passages indirectly allude to the cosmic rebellion of an angelic being of a somewhat exalted position in the heavenly hierarchy, biblical scholars question whether these Old Testament verses are in fact a direct description of Satan's fall:

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Isaiah 14 KJV
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. Ezekiel 28 KJV

Dr. Peter Gentry, a professor of Old Testament interpretation at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, argues that these passages do not refer to Lucifer's fall, but rather to an Ancient Near East king and possibly to an Adamic figure. The confusion, according to Dr. Gentry, comes from an interlingual rendition of the word "Lucifer" by the early Church Fathers, which happens to be a "descriptive tittle and not a personal name."

Watch Dr. Gentry's interpetration of the biblical passages cited above and draw your own conclusions:

I'm trying to get the doc to join us here for a lecture. Don't think he will take it well if he sees these comparisons :-0
Well why didn't you say so!! :) Feel free to remove my comments :) I will be respect full from this moment forth.