UFOs depicted in Art

D

Dundee

What do you think of this. It is an old but an interesting topic.
I read somewhere that a human can not iagine a concept that they have not been exposed to.
So how does a person from hundreds of years ago draw flying machines with peope in them if they have not
seen something to base their drawings on.

iu

And another.
Sculpture_of_astronaut-700x420.jpg

The Salamanca Astronaut sits on the façade on the entrance to the New Cathedral, Salamanca, Spain. (Marshall Henrie/Wikimedia Commons)

Hadn't seen that one. Looks kinda like a kinder drawing.... Are you shit stirring me again LETA. You know I'm too dumb to detect it until after I have hung myself. 🤣

Hadn't seen that one. Looks kinda like a kinder drawing.... Are you shit stirring me again LETA. You know I'm too dumb to detect it until after I have hung myself. 🤣
There's some controversy behind the illustration. But sources say it was a cave painting found near the border of China.

811bac4033150d55c68d6c26fdc2620a.jpg

Yes. Apparently, it was a commissioned drawing for some magazine that von Däniken used to support his ancient alien hypothesis. Jason Colavito wrote an article about it on his blog:

We do not have time travel machines etc, but writers have been depicting them for years.
The mind can come up with wonderful things.

Actually creating them is something entirely different.

An old theme ....the religious paintings/drwaings etc have been talked about many times on various web sites and in articles and are usually interpreted as religious iconography of angels or celestial beings representing the sun and moon. That seems reasonable to me amd other images in other paintings look like religious drawings to me. I honestly don't think there is anything there regarding ufos. But that doesn't mean our ancestors didn't see what we call ufos today. In fact Dr Vallee released a book Wonders In The Sky a few years back that cites many ancient sightings of odd things seen in the sky.

The Uzbekistan- China ? drawing is another matter....I have no idea on that one. It does look suspicious to me....and the above explanation from Jason Colavito posted by Leta clears up that it's a drawing from 1967.

As Hal mentioned the human mind is very creative....Da Vinci is credited with the ideas of parachutes, the helicopter, an armored vehicle, solar power, a calculator, the double hull...and probably other things.

So given the specific detail in this one, helmet, knobs on the side of it like you see on some visor mounts, chest pack with hoses to a backpack, obviously out of proportion leg thickness going down to what is obviously a heavy treaded boot. Pockets on the thigh...

If your grandkids moulded this out of clay and said look what I made grandad, you would say wondefull little Jimmy, you made an Astronaught. Yet here it is religious iconography?
Depticting what?
I

And given the abundance of classic religious images depicting angels in chariots similar to below. Classic symbols of angel wings, horses, wheeled chariot. All drawn from things around the they see every day mixed with the classic religious depiction.

iu

People are honestly explaining this away as religious iconograpghy?
A pointed craft with fins of some sort, with a man inside, looking behind him.

iu

To another craft of a simiar design, that appears to be in pursuit with the occupant seemingly operating controls.

iu

People are seriously suggesting that the iconography has changed to this without having seen something as a reference.
That seems a long bow to draw in my opinion.

And another.

The Salamanca Astronaut sits on the façade on the entrance to the New Cathedral, Salamanca, Spain. (Marshall Henrie/Wikimedia Commons)
This was explained some years ago...but I looked it up for you...it was added in 1992..
"In fact, the astronaut and the gargoyle were both added in 1992 by mischievous stonemasons in charge of doing some restoration work on the cathedral. Maybe they were just playing a joke on visitors, but apparently these workers regularly leave their mark on buildings by leaving some curious detail behind. Jerónimo García, the chief restorer, apparently chose an astronaut as a symbol of the 20th century, while the gargoyle is said to represent the university’s students."
btw,,,a google search will link to multiple articles about this feature on the church

This was explained some years ago...but I looked it up for you...it was added in 1992..
"In fact, the astronaut and the gargoyle were both added in 1992 by mischievous stonemasons in charge of doing some restoration work on the cathedral. Maybe they were just playing a joke on visitors, but apparently these workers regularly leave their mark on buildings by leaving some curious detail behind. Jerónimo García, the chief restorer, apparently chose an astronaut as a symbol of the 20th century, while the gargoyle is said to represent the university’s students."
btw,,,a google search will link to multiple articles about this feature on the church
OK sweet, thanks for the clarification, nicely debunked, and the rest?
There are more than a few old paintigs out there with what by any standard depicts classic 20th century flying suacers.

And given the abundance of classic religious images depicting angels in chariots similar to below. Classic symbols of angel wings, horses, wheeled chariot. All drawn from things around the they see every day mixed with the classic religious depiction.

iu

People are honestly explaining this away as religious iconograpghy?
A pointed craft with fins of some sort, with a man inside, looking behind him.

iu

To another craft of a simiar design, that appears to be in pursuit with the occupant seemingly operating controls.

iu

People are seriously suggesting that the iconography has changed to this without having seen something as a reference.
That seems a long bow to draw in my opinion.
I can see how people who are into the ufo mystery can interpret these moon and star images as ufos but apparently this kind of iconoghraphy was common in religious art in certain areas and epcohs.There are many links on this also...a simple google search will bring them up.
The winged being and chariot was a common theme in many religious settings in man's past also...many of the Geek and Roman gods were said to have wings or be able to fly ,live in the sky or on high mountains etc.
To me it's not strange due to mythological themes. Our ancestors were in awe of sky aspects in general which makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how people who are into the ufo mystery can interpret these moon and star images as ufos but apparently this kind of iconoghraphy was common in religious art in certain areas and epcohs.There are many links on this also...a simple google search will bring them up.
The winged being and chariot was a common theme in many religious settings in man's past also...many of the Geek and Roman gods were said to have wings or be able to fly ,live in the sky or on high mountains etc.
To me it's not strange due to mythological themes. Our ancestors were in awe of sky aspects in general which makes sense.
Fair enough, I guess we will have to agree to disagree, IMHO that explanation holds true to some no doubt, but the above is just too specific, as are many others, It is like taking an image of a tree and saying it is not a tree but something else.
The imagery to me is pretty clear. But each to his own.

The Abydos Helicopter.

OK so the arguments against this are quite few, most of which in my opinion make little sense.

The most popular are that this was re-carved by Ramesses the second from the Original carving by his father Seti I.
OK lets look at that as an option. So the obvious question is re-carved to what? And if it was, it looks to be re-carved to look like a helicopter.

There are a great many examples of panels being altered and re-carved all over Egypt, there is some suggestion the Sphinx itself has had it's head re-carved from Anubis the Jackal god.
But the examples I have seen seem always to be recarved to represent something, or a new phase of history.
What were the three images carved to represent?

The second most popular...
The lack of any surviving examples of the craft that the advocates of the Abydos Helicopter claim the inscription depicts is no deterrent to the belief. Neither is the lack of any other inscription in any other Egyptian monument whatsoever, or any mention of said craft in any Egyptian literature whatsoever. Nor indeed, any mention of the Atlanteans/Little Green Men who brought such technology to them.

Well who would have thought that the Egyptians would choose not to document something as important as a Helicopter..oh wait a minute, they did not even document how the great pyramid was actually built, what was the estimate? 100,000 workers over 23 years? And not a single image of a ramp or pulley. Never mind all the rest of the wonders in Egypt.

Nope that excuse makes no sense.

So back to the first excuse, if it was re-carved, what is it supposed to represent?

Hieroglif_z_Abydos.jpg

Dundee,

Just thinking about your signature line. (from Purple Haze: Hendrix) and it seems to be another of those songs that are wrongly presented when their lyrics are printed.

One of the better examples is from King Crimson's 'Easy Money'. Listen to the song, then read the published words; not the same. And in fact it is mentioned that there are alternative words used.

But what struck me is that, as far as I can tell, Hendrix doesn't say 'kiss the sky', he says 'kiss this guy'.

What say you ?

HAL.