VR What do you use?

D

Dundee

How many members are using VR gear, I just changed mine for a different model, thought I would give you my thoughts.
I owned the Vive version one pretty much since it first came out. I think I payed $1300+ Au at the time. A lot!! It was good at the time, but since then I have had one of the base stations fail in the same way most folks on the forums have experienced. I persevered with very average tracking. I bought ALYX and played it which was a truly amazing experience. I can't express how good it is. It is fantastic, totally immersive to the point that it is the first VR game I have played that I almost forgot I was in VR.
Almost!!!
Where it let me down was the controllers, the Vive controllers layout is diabolically annoying. It has a side button that pulls up a menu. However when you try to pick up an object, or throw a grenade in panic, I can't count the times I popped that menu accidentally. A real let down risking bouts of rage quits.

Some time ago one of my sons bought a Rift S second hand for $450. Wow what a difference. The graphics are better, and the controller is laid out in a way that it does not trigger accidental button pushes. Hugely superior for half the price.

So I bought the updates S, which was the Occulus Quest.
OK so this has advantages and disadvantages. It has cable less options that uses an internal processor and links to your phone to upload games. Personally, for me the options for games are great for the little league, so your littler kids will love it.
But if you are a hardcore gamer like me you want a little more.
This is achieved using the Link cable. With this it effectively (with a little witchcraft) becomes compatible with all your steam VR apps that you used on your other platforms. In reality It is not bug free. I have had 99% success with all steam VR apps with the exception of ALYX.
The one game I want to play through again. It has dreadful stuttering. Looking on the forums it is a common issue effecting a lot of people. Some people have it work absolutely seamlessly, others not so much.

I have just enabled developer options and have set out to try and fix it, some win, some don't. will keep you posted.

Finally the quest 2 is now available with a little better specs and a good price $480 AU, if you don't mind selling your soul to Facebook to use it. My conclusion for what its worth.

For under $500 Au the Occulus kicks butt bang for bucks and would make a fantastic present for one of your kids. They can play it cable free in the back yard using uploaded apps from the phone and have a ball, and if they are a bit savvy come in, plug in the link cable to their PC and play all their steam content with the above caveats

It is also well and truly worth it if you are a serious gamer, but your probably going to have to fiddle and tweak here and there with some steam apps, but if your a gamer your used to that anyway.

So unless you have the $1000+ for an index, the occulus range, bang for bucks is in my opinion worth getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Area201
Update,
Turn on developers mode and it auto installs the Beta Occulus app and ALYX is now dead smooth.

Didn't know you had that kind of money :biggrin:
Not many things work out well for a bloke who gets separated, I lost everything, house car etc.
But now, even though I live in a shitty rented house in a bad area, as I have no wife, I have money left over on pay day.

Not many things work out well for a bloke who gets separated, I lost everything, house car etc.
But now, even though I live in a shitty rented house in a bad area, as I have no wife, I have money left over on pay day.
Got to be a lesson in there somewhere.

Now here is the significant question the Universe has to offer.

Why do we blokes never learn this from the ones who came before ?

Now here is the significant question the Universe has to offer.

Why do we blokes never learn this from the ones who came before ?
Yeah, good point. Though in my case it was different. I chose kids and less agro over conflict. I made the whole process easier for the ex will virtually no contest. Didn't want my sons to see the bad side of mum and dad by getting into a shit fight.
They have eyes. They are good lads, but know what happened. That's good enough for me. Besides, its just stuff, i don't care much about stuff.

I see the point about stuff just being stuff. But not all stuff is equal.
Virtually all mine is in the form of machines and equipment that I need to function.
And I always see these items with respect to the cost, not in money, but the time I had to put in at work to get them. This time I can't reproduce at my age. Look at it this way. If someone was to steal the woodworking tools of a young carpenter he can replace them and carry on. But if someone was to steal the same tools from a retired woodworker, then they have not only taken the tools, they have taken his retirement occupation. This has a much greater impact than the simple loss of the physical tools. It is traumatic.

A few years ago someone broke into my workshop and stole a few hundred pounds worth of power tools. They also took four old car batteries. In their way the batteries were a greater loss than the tools (which I replaced) because they were part of an ongoing set of experiments. So the experiments were never completed. all the data gathered was useless.

But the stuff is also a millstone around my neck.

But it was this subject (staying single) that got me into so much trouble elsewhere, So I had better cease and desist; as they say.

Haha fair enough. Real thing is a good approach. Except perhaps for shooting games. Real bullets hurt apparently.
... Oh and ghost games... And.. Well I'll stick with both. 👻🎮😁

I only have the basic Google and some other VR glasses (cool looking) but I only tried them out for a short while to see what the experience was about - then I put it in the box where it's been since. I'm just not that big on it, though I'm sure as the software improves it will catch on more.

I just purchased 2 sets of Ray-bans and another Kingseven sleek glasses. I'm kind of binging on Amazon ATM and buying sh*t left and right. I got deliveries coming in each day, but no VR glasses.

I only have the basic Google and some other VR glasses (cool looking) but I only tried them out for a short while to see what the experience was about - then I put it in the box where it's been since. I'm just not that big on it, though I'm sure as the software improves it will catch on more.

I just purchased 2 sets of Ray-bans and another Kingseven sleek glasses. I'm kind of binging on Amazon ATM and buying sh*t left and right. I got deliveries coming in each day, but no VR glasses.
They can be a bit of a gimmick, if you have a mate with a setup, and Halflife ALYX, I suggest you give that a whirl of you want to see how good it gets. As we used to talk about at UNI, complete suspension of disbelief. ALYX is as good as it gets.
You are as close to being inside a game as you will ever be. Genuine fear reactions and so on. Worth a look if ever the opportunity arises.

I also destroyed a chandelier in my house by throwing a grenade in Doom 3D. barefoot on the carpet covered in broken glass.
Note to self, don't throw hand grenades when under a chandelier :)