What would be the Skeptics/Scientists parameters to warrant investigation?

I am glad you pointed out the difference between deniers and skeptics. The difference is subtle but significant isn't it. It is easy for someone like myself to confuse the two.
For me, I would investigate everything. Sometimes you learn more from what something is not, than from something that is.
So even if for example someone sees an odd plane at night, that someone confuses for a UFO, you would probably at the very least learn something about humans ability to confuse.

Trying to remember what else was on the old front page. No, can't see it . ;)

Actually, yes I can. One ufo being chased by two fighters and a depiction of area 51.

LETA,

..Yes. I definitely believe the phenomenon, i.e., UFOs, exist. Armchair believers are ok in my book. We need more of them here ;-)..

Please don't wish for that. We will be knee deep in Space Brothers before you can pull the plug on them.:devilish:
What exactly is an armchair believer?
Or what is the difference between a believer and an armchair believer.
I have recently taken it as a derogatory comment as used in a certain context.
So what is an armchair believer??

Yes, you learn something from every report.

'Lights-in-the -sky' are the most regularly reported ufo. And, unless very different to what is seen every night, the one you can most easily dismiss. Firstly because you may have no way of finding out what it was. And secondly because they are really just that, small lights. What can you do with them ?
I had one of my daughters phone me to say' go out and look up. what are those.?'

It was the Skylink sats. I knew this instantly because I was aware of them, she wasn't.

..So what is an armchair believer??..

Someone who would have been a Daydream Believer back in the seventies ?

Anyway, need to go out and get a new ELCB for my power distribution board. I stepped on an extention socket yesterday and broke it. The resulting short slammed the breaker open and it won't reset. So I have to get another. At the moment I have this room leashed into an adjacent breaker. I'll be ok as long as I don't turn on the water heater.
And we have four inch of snow outside. Great !

Anyway, need to go out and get a new ELCB for my power distribution board. I stepped on an extention socket yesterday and broke it. The resulting short slammed the breaker open and it won't reset. So I have to get another. At the moment I have this room leashed into an adjacent breaker. I'll be ok as long as I don't turn on the water heater.
And we have four inch of snow outside. Great !
Lol, you have many dilemmas to address. It is handy you are a sparky. Could be worse, you might have had to pay the man :)

I am preparing a post here when you get back, I hope you get something out of it. I am keen to get your thoughts on it.
Good luck with the repairs :)

You have probably seen this one, but it is one of my favorite reports.

First Gordon Coopers credentials to establish him as... lets agree that he is a better than average witness.
And I suspect certainly better qualified than me, and most here to have a credible account.

Cooper received many awards, including the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, the Collier Trophy,[87] the Harmon Trophy, the DeMolay Legion of Honor, the John F. Kennedy Trophy,[58] the Iven C. Kincheloe Award,[88] the Air Force Association Trophy, the John J. Montgomery Award, the General Thomas D. White Trophy,[89] the University of Hawaii Regents Medal, the Columbus Medal, and the Silver Antelope Award.[58] He received an honorary D.Sc. from Oklahoma State University in 1967.[58]

He was one of five Oklahoman astronauts inducted into the Oklahoma Aviation and Space Hall of Fame in 1980.[90] He was inducted into the International Space Hall of Fame in 1981,[71][91] and the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame on May 11, 1990.[92][93]

Cooper was a member of the Society of Experimental Test Pilots, the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the American Astronautical Society, Scottish Rite and York Rite Masons, Shriners, the Royal Order of Jesters, the Rotary Club, Order of Daedalians, Confederate Air Force, Adventurers' Club of Los Angeles, and Boy Scouts of America.[58] He was a Master Mason (member of Carbondale Lodge # 82 in Carbondale, Colorado), and was given the honorary 33rd Degree by the Scottish Rite Masonic body.

Now if you can spare 5 mins, and 4 seconds, what are your thoughts on this, particularly the UFO landing?

Yeah, I have seen that one before. And he should be about as credible as it gets.

Let me throw something different at you; as we are considering credibility of witnesses.

You will have read the report of the American helicopter crew who were engulfed in a green light and their chopper was forced down when it should have been rising ?

About seven years ago I was flying back from Santorini when the interior of the plane was light up with an emerald green glow. It lasted about ten second.

Would you accept that as a reportable occurrence ? One hundred and sixty four other passengers could testify to it.

Yeah, I have seen that one before. And he should be about as credible as it gets.

Let me throw something different at you; as we are considering credibility of witnesses.

You will have read the report of the American helicopter crew who were engulfed in a green light and their chopper was forced down when it should have been rising ?

About seven years ago I was flying back from Santorini when the interior of the plane was light up with an emerald green glow. It lasted about ten second.

Would you accept that as a re portable occurrence ? One hundred and sixty four other passengers could testify to it.
Absolutely, it is a credible and re portable and credible occurrence.
I judge you as an obviously intelligent person to be able to report what you saw.
I suspect if you were, at the time unwell, medicated or otherwise you would like as not say so.
So yes knowing you I would accept it as re portable and credible event.

As to what it was, well that is another matter.
If all you reported was a green light, it leaves it open to many explanations. I guess.
Is that all you report, just the green light?

Actually, no. I was reporting it exactly as see. But the report was incomplete.

You see, I always ask for a window seat.

We were flying up the coast of Croatia when it happened. And I immediately looked out.

Down in a yard there was a joker with a green laser, pointing it at the plane.

I was demonstrating that, unless all the details of a report are known, it has to be suspect.
Only the folks who had window seats could see the source of the light. Every one else would only see the interior lit up with the glow.

This is why I am always skeptical of reports until I have as much info as I can glean.

Actually, no. I was reporting it exactly as see. But the report was incomplete.

You see, I always ask for a window seat.

We were flying up the coast of Croatia when it happened. And I immediately looked out.

Down in a yard there was a joker with a green laser, pointing it at the plane.

I was demonstrating that, unless all the details of a report are known, it has to be suspect.
Only the folks who had window seats could see the source of the light. Every one else would only see the interior lit up with the glow.

This is why I am always skeptical of reports until I have as much info as I can glean.
But isn't that why we investigate. In this case it was something mundane and explainable.
And you only initially gave me part of the relevant information, that I took on face value.
Given the added information you provided an earthly explanation was found.

Indeed. It does show what lengths people will go to when creating counterfeit goods.

I suspect they are found on EBay and other relatively unregulated markets.
I have just bought a replacement for the damaged one I was talking about. It is from a reputable outlet (my daughter works there) but it is a Far East import. It will probably be ok, but as it is riveted together I can't look inside and check. It does weigh the same as the original; that is a good sign.
The bad news is that it is obsolete. So I would have to trawl some rather dubious sources to get another one.
Looks as if I will have to change the whole consumer unit if it happens again.

Come back Wylex, all is forgiven.