What would be the Skeptics/Scientists parameters to warrant investigation?

D

Dundee

I am genuinely at a loss to find common ground. It may be my failing?
But I understand the principle of a skeptical approach.
I understand the demand for proof to tick the boxes for the scientists.

It may be my own bias here, but I get the feeling that most reports that people post
are by default deemed to be (the proverbial) swamp gas by skeptics and scientists.

It seems that if the initial opinion is one of skepticism, how could an investigation ever take place?

So given a hypothetical situation, we are all younger, money and resources are not too much of a problem.
What are the parameters that you would need to warrant an investigation into a UFO sighting?

For me I would think any sighting that is not easily with a very high measure of confidence identified as something known would warrant investigation. Even then I would take the time to investigate probably.

I tend to have more faith in peoples integrity than you skeptics.
If someone says they saw something I tend to think well they probably did, and it is worth a look.
I don't automatically think meh, could be anything, and take no interest.

So given the resources.
What would be your yes / no line.
What would be worth chasing up, what would you say not going to bother with?
And second to that, short of 100% proof,
What sort of results/evidence anecdotal or otherwise would you skeptics require to
put a sighting in the "shit I'm gonna tell my mate about this one, that's just weird" as compared to the swamp gas go hone and watch TV sighting,..

I believe, and i know the government believes in the phenomenon. I'm not too bothered by armchair skeptics :)

I believe, and i know the government believes in the phenomenon. I'm not too bothered by armchair skeptics :)
Yeah I agree with you on all counts.
But I am still trying to get my head round the opinions of those who believe less.
I can't tell if it is my own bias or not, but the bar for the skeptic/scientists seems to shift.

They may believe in it as you say but I don't think even the government has wrapped their head around it yet...They like everyone else are still trying to figure out just what they are dealing with in some cases....

They may believe in it as you say but I don't think even the government has wrapped their head around it yet...They like everyone else are still trying to figure out just what they are dealing with in some cases....
I agree. We don't know the extent of their understanding of the phenomenon. It is possible they are barely scratching the surface :-0

I agree. We don't know the extent of their understanding of the phenomenon. It is possible they are barely scratching the surface :-0
I think they are learning just like the rest of us...As to the OP's question...That would require great study wouldn't it? I think until there is actual solid physical proof it's going to be hard to get scientists and skeptics alike to take notice...Ufology as a pseudoscience has ran amuck because of the scams and fraud that has surfaced over the last 70+ years......It's an image that's going to be hard to change over the course of just a few years...And personally I do not think that change will happen.

I think they are learning just like the rest of us...As to the OP's question...That would require great study wouldn't it? I think until there is actual solid physical proof it's going to be hard to get scientists and skeptics alike to take notice...Ufology as a pseudoscience has ran amuck because of the scams and fraud that has surfaced over the last 70+ years......It's an image that's going to be hard to change over the course of just a few years...And personally I do not think that change will happen.
Do you think the gov is not in possession of any crashed UFOs? No alien bodies? No nothing?

What do you mean by the 'phenomenon'? What exactly are you saying you believe in?
That the 'phenomenon' exists, or that it is definitely aliens from outer space?
And how do you feel about 'armchair believers'...?
Call me .....curious.
:smile:

What do you mean by the 'phenomenon'? What exactly are you saying you believe in?
Call me .....curious.
Armchair believers.
You can't help with the derogatory comments can you.

Armchair believers.
You can't help with the derogatory comments can you.
You seem to be trying your hardest to cause trouble. Why?
First of all that was a question for Leta and secondly she was the one who said armchair skeptics. So then she was being derogatory or did you just gloss over that ...or suddenly lose the ability to read ?
How is it not fair to ask in return what she means by that?
If you are having a problem in your life please leave it off the forum .

You seem to be trying your hardest to cause trouble. Why?
First of all that was a question for Leta and secondly she was the one who said armchair skeptics. So then she was being derogatory or did you just gloss over that ...or suddenly lose the ability to read ?
How is it not fair to ask in return what she means by that?
If you are having a problem in your life please leave it off the forum .
Not trying to cause trouble doc. Just a bit over your superiority complex. The differece between LETAs comments and yours are obvious. Leta has shown respect and even handedness here from day 1 with never a nasty word to skeptic or believer. You however seem to have placed yourself on the high ground and very often speak down on us mortals as if we are all idiots.
As you do to any person who's opinion you deem unscientific.
So the armchair comment in your hands takes on a different tone.
In any case you were right on one count. The comment was directed to LETA.

Oh and my life is chugging along nicely by the way. Other than a crook back from falling of my dirt bike yet again. On annual leave, babysitting my grandkids as we speak. It's summer here. So all good here thanks for asking.

Reactions: Area201
Call me .....curious.
Yes. I definitely believe the phenomenon, i.e., UFOs, exist. Armchair believers are ok in my book. We need more of them here ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Area201 and Dundee
...It may be my own bias here, but I get the feeling that most reports that people post
are by default deemed to be (the proverbial) swamp gas by skeptics and scientists....

Got to be your bias.

There has to be a reason to look. And there has to be a good chance that your looking will produce some practical result.
If any inquiries to the people who should be able to provide answers only produces stone-walling or negative response, then people just lose interest.
Why spend time looking at something that is seemingly out of reach, If it exists at all ?

You are still confusing this business of skeptics and deniers.

Deniers simply believe that there is nothing there. It really is, for them, that simple.

Skeptics are ready to admit there is something there, but equally readily admit that they do not have any real way of coming to a conclusion about that it is. So they they sit around swigging moonshine and playing their banjos.

Opps, sorry, wrong thread. ;)

What ever conclusions skeptics come to, particularly as they are tenous at best, will be modified in the light of further discoveries.

I tend to have more faith in peoples integrity than you skeptics.
If someone says they saw something I tend to think well they probably did, and it is worth a look.
I don't automatically think meh, could be anything, and take no interest....

Sadly there are many out there who's integrity is open to doubt.

But even in the best case, the observer can only say what he/she saw. If they considered it worth mentioning then that doesn't really help in identifying it. It simply infers that they saw something they did not recognise.

And by then, it is history. It's been and gone. All that can be done id to add it to the pile. Hoping it fills in another part of the jigsaw.

I would not know what you mean . Sir.
All the time i have been here I have never noticed that ample bosom on the old front page.
Lol, Like the song said when tomb raider came out at the movies. "If your male and you know it clap your hands." :)
But I will believe you on your word that you have never noticed the..."ample bosom" cough cough "Bullshit" cough cough :)
lol you poms haha love it, my nan was a pom. she was lovely. Very proper, but lovely.

Trying to remember what else was on the old front page. No, can't see it . ;)

Actually, yes I can. One ufo being chased by two fighters and a depiction of area 51.

LETA,

..Yes. I definitely believe the phenomenon, i.e., UFOs, exist. Armchair believers are ok in my book. We need more of them here ;-)..

Please don't wish for that. We will be knee deep in Space Brothers before you can pull the plug on them.:devilish: