Favorite Books: Non fiction and fiction

The Asimov trilogy

Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
Robots of Dawn

Is a good read.

But you need to read Caves of Steel first.

I can't say I have a favorite book, it is like saying is an apple pie nicer than a chicken curry. They are just different.
But books that for me are very memorable are.

Fiction,
The Perilous Decent

Ignore post #43 as incomplete, buggered up the save edit.

I can't say I have a favorite book, it is like saying is an apple pie nicer than a chicken curry. They are just different.
But books that for me are very memorable are. (today, ask me tomorrow for a different list)

Fiction,
The Perilous Decent
Its really a kids book but i was a kid when I read it.

The Belgariad I can still see Aunt Pols kitchen from, under the table.
And of course as cliche as it is The Lord of the Rings.

Once many many decades ago when I was young and stupid, a friend said to me, "I wish I had your arm now."
I asked why, he said, "becasue there is never going to be a trip as good as your first.
For me that iust like the Lord of the Rings,
I have read it many times, but it was never as exciting as that first read.
So Lord Of the Rings

20 thousand leagues under the sea.
Sitting under a tree out the bush as a teen, a bottle of coke and this book.
I really was genuinely surprised to look up and see trees not seaweed.

Non Fiction

No contest.
Arthur Mee's Encyclopedia, The photo below is the children's version, we had 24 Volumes of the world edition and 3 of the kids. Ah the smell of those books.i will remember till I die. A 6 year old laying in bed looking through the pages.
I know thus is one of your favorites @Horsa How good is that smell :)

e4fda254103b91ce0e512a173b9f51cd--wordpress.jpg

Second might be Basic Chemistry and Physics. Serway"

Ignore post #43 as incomplete, buggered up the save edit.

But books that for me are very memorable are. (today, ask me tomorrow for a different list)

Fiction,
The Perilous Decent
Its really a kids book but i was a kid when I read it.

The Belgariad I can still see Aunt Pols kitchen from, under the table.
And of course as cliche as it is The Lord of the Rings.

Once many many decades ago when I was young and stupid, a friend said to me, "I wish I had your arm now."
I asked why, he said, "becasue there is never going to be a trip as good as your first.
For me that iust like the Lord of the Rings,
I have read it many times, but it was never as exciting as that first read.
So Lord Of the Rings

20 thousand leagues under the sea.
Sitting under a tree out the bush as a teen, a bottle of coke and this book.
I really was genuinely surprised to look up and see trees not seaweed.

Non Fiction

No contest.
Arthur Mee's Encyclopedia, The photo below is the children's version, we had 24 Volumes of the world edition and 3 of the kids. Ah the smell of those books.i will remember till I die. A 6 year old laying in bed looking through the pages.
I know thus is one of your favorites @Horsa How good is that smell :)

e4fda254103b91ce0e512a173b9f51cd--wordpress.jpg

Second might be Basic Chemistry and Physics. Serway"
Can't you solve the problem you mentioned in bold by asking Leta to delete your last post as it's an error?

I think you've got some very good choices there, Dundee. Your post really requires a longer & better thought-out response than I've got time for at the moment so I'll just address the part that you asked me about.

I loved that as a girl. They were very interesting. I never had the children's version but my parents got me the adult's version of the books when I was 10 as they couldn't cope with my questions. The books were very attractive. I especially liked the marbled flyleaves & the smell of the books was lovely. They also got me similar books by J.A. Hammerton & Harmsworth. (They didn't realise that children shouldn't have been reading them but I read them anyway.)

Why does Iain M Banks call the first book in his Culture series 'Consider Phlebas" ?

It;s a character in a poem by T S Eliot...called 'The Waste Land'. It's a long complex poem.
see section 4 Death By Water
I found it sort of...cliche.
It feels to me that he has tried to purposely take as many things that matter that he can think of on the day for the sake of a poem.
I find the story confusing.
I am no TS Eliot, far from it.
But for me sometimes less is more, 1million lines is self indulgent.
Sometimes less is more.

But a nice bit of writing all the same, just not my cup of tea.

In love I taste your lips, in deep embrace
Your scent like flowers in the morning mist,
My loves declaration made too late
Such moments now we must resist.
Another has your heart now, not I
Your love divided, fate prevailing over need,
In silence I lament my hesitation, I cry
Yet another knife thrust, my heart still bleeds
To face my darkness, alone I must return,
Your happiness ever taunting, my tortured mind
What god would leave me, forever spurned?
In desolation's grasp no love to find.
The scented morning rose, brings thoughts of you,
I am returned to my eternal deja vu​

I'll have to read it.
I don't understand Banks use of the name from the poem...but it has been several years since I read that novel.
I knew of the poem by Eliot many years ago, but never connected it to Banks book before.

Just finished reading the book, and I was waiting for Phlebas to appear.

Now I am going to have to get the rest of his Culture series.

Also just finished Ursula K Le Guin's 'The Prepossessed'.

Just finished reading the book, and I was waiting for Phlebas to appear.

Now I am going to have to get the rest of his Culture series.

Also just finished Ursula K Le Guin's 'The Prepossessed'.
I think Phlebas is a reference to something that happens to the major charcter in the book...an anaolgy most likely. In the poem Phlebas dies in the sea.and is eaten by a fish..I think.
I enjoyed the Culture series and so far it remains my favorite series.
Did you mean The Dispossessed?
I read Lathe of Heaven and Left Hand of Darkness...2 of her most famous novels.

..Did you mean The Dispossessed?..

Indeed I did.

In the original I screwed up the spelling, and must have selected the wrong choice from the ones the spell checker offered. Shows also some crap proof reading on my part.

You can see where she was going with the story. More sociology than sci-fi.

But the remarks she attributes to the Terran Ambassador about Earth, considering she wrote it in 1974, are clearly prophetic.

'Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and as tall as you...'

So, Phlebas was a Phoenician sailor.

No less than five languages (English, Italian, Latin, French, and Sanskrit) are used in the last eleven lines to end on "Shantih, shantih, shantih," a phrase which in Sanskrit means "the peace that passeth understanding"--in which we may hear a form of hope for some sort of spiritual healing-

I shall have to read the whole thing. But I'm getting the impression it is a work intended for a high-brow audiance. Why else use some many languages ?

And is Horza the Phlebas of the story ?

^One hell of a long epic poem....I looked at it again when I was recalling who Phlebas was in regard to your query and by the time one gets half way through you forget what the poem said in the beginning.... :erwhat?:
no idea what TSEliot's intentions were with that one but I'm sure there are many scholarly books and essays about it.
I'll have to re-read Consider Phlebas...been a few years.

on the Waste Land