So what's the difference between an hallucination and an apparition ?

Yes, Arnold was flying.
My point was that he was so far from where he said the objects were that it would have been hard to see them.
Yes...which is why some skeptics have said all along he saw a large flock of birds and misjudged both the distance and what he saw.

I live under the approach to Leeds/Bradford Airport.
The planes pass over us and then do a couple of right turns before descending to the airfield. The airfield is about ten mile away (as the crow flies) and on descent the planes appear to be about two millimeter long on a ruler held at arms length.
So at eighty miles they would be either very big planes or, as you say, he got the size/distance screwed up.

Okay.

There seems to be two distinct ways of looking at the ufo phenomena.

The 'nuts and bolts' type, made in a similar way to how we make things, and is a solid artifact much as our spacecraft are.
Then there is the 'They are not actually 'there' , but are an artifact of out mind. I think Jung tends to this.

But what is meant by 'not actually there ?

Saying it is all in the mind is simplistic and, frankly, somewhat disparaging.

Unless the mind is acting as some kind of portal to some other realm. A realm occupied by the things we see on occasion.

Some years ago the following happened to me.

I was sitting in my dining room, which overlooks the local pathway going from the area to the main road. This path is frequently used., being the shortest way to the bus stop.

My wife was at work. and I was home as I was only working mornings.
I glanced up and saw her walking down the path. It was about the time I would expect to see her coming from work if she had finished at 4 pm.
I didn't give it any more thought and expected her to come into the house in about 30 seconds. But she didn't.
About five minutes later, a neighbor called looking for her. I said she wasn't here, but that I suspected she may have stopped off to talk to someone as I had sen her walk down the path.
I then went back to my book.
Just after five I again saw her walking down the path. This time with our daughter.
When they came in I mentioned that I had seen her an hour ago.
She responded that I couldn't have as she was then still at work. She had me our daughter on the bus home. 5pm out of town.

So what did I see ?

It was definitely her the first time. Same build, hair, clothes, shopping bag, way of walking. Absolutely no doubt. And I had ample time to look.
The only difference between the two sightings was that on one occasion the cardigan she was wearing was buttoned up, and on the other it wasn't.

It was some kind of apparition. A totally lifelike viewing of something that wasn't there. So real that I didn't give it a second thought.

This brings us to the second class of ufo sighting. The class where not everyone in an area see what some report. Is there some kind of circumstance where they are looking at something that is somewhere else. Not actually there. ?

As for the difference between apparitions and hallucinations.
I suspect that hallucinations are generally brought on by stress or some other mental problem. They also have a feeling of 'unreality' about them.
An apparition is very lifelike.

And like the people who claim to see ufos. i can only say that know what I saw. But there is no way of proving this.
I have been thinking about what you saw HAL. It occurred to me. Did your wife notice anything odd at the time you saw her walk past? I imagine if there were some time slip or Mandela effect temporary swap she may have noticed something odd at the same time you did.

Geez it might have been worth a mention. You never know. It may be on her mind too!

Sorry for the omission. Never thought to mention it as, when I mentioned it to her, she didn't offer anything to support that idea.

I have had one thing happen that does support that. But it was many ears ago. And borders on the paranormal. Not a place I like to go.

Come on Hal get out of bed, I am hanging for a good ghost story, I would love to come to the UK and check out some of your spooky haunted buildings and cemeteries. I have a tonne of long service leave to do it too if this covid nonsense ever goes away.
Come on HAL, I am hanging for a ghost story. :)

As I mention elsewhere, that particular story is off limits.

I'm not being awkward. It is just too painful to recollect.

I'll throw in a rather innocuous happening from around ten year back.

I was walking through town when I suddenly felt a huge 'bump'. It felt like someone had literally walked straight through me. There was no one close.
Not long afterward I was in town and heard a voice right at my side say, quite clearly' HAL'. Again, no one there.
This happened a third (and final) time. But it was a clear loud shout. No one anywhere close.

It wasn't until much later that I realised all the occurrences had been in the same place, to within three feet.

Nothing spectacular, but rather odd.

I'll throw in a rather innocuous happening from around ten year back.

I was walking through town when I suddenly felt a huge 'bump'. It felt like someone had literally walked straight through me. There was no one close.
Not long afterward I was in town and heard a voice right at my side say, quite clearly' HAL'. Again, no one there.
This happened a third (and final) time. But it was a clear loud shout. No one anywhere close.

It wasn't until much later that I realised all the occurrences had been in the same place, to within three feet.

Nothing spectacular, but rather odd.
It gave me shivers, have you been back to the same spot to see what happens?
Or tried to research if the location is somehow significant in some way?

I have quite a few spooky stories from a place I used to work. Years ago
I was a security guard at a major Aussie tourist attraction.
Very long story short.
I was standing at a fork in the road one night talking to two other guards. I had only just started so was still pretty unfamiliar with everything. We were standing in a triangle talking I guess a meter or more a apart.
It was summer and approaching dark. All of a sudden I felt someone tap me on my left shoulder. I was looking at the two guards so it was not them
I spun round and no one was there. I looked to see of it was something out of a tree but we were in the open.
But it was a very forceful tap.
I said nothing not wanting to appear to be the nutty new guy.
Anyway several weeks later I was talking to one of the guards that was there that night. I commented how bloody spooky the place is at night.
He agreed and asked me if I had been tapped on the shoulder yet in xyz street. I said yeas. He said it was a regular thing if you stop in that street. He said it is almost like if you stop you get in the way and they are just getting you to move. Just one of many scary encounters at that place. I'll pm you what place it was I worked at

It gave me shivers, have you been back to the same spot to see what happens?
Or tried to research if the location is somehow significant in some way?
I walk through that spot regularly. Nothing has happened since.

Once, when I was a teenager I was sat on the top rail of a fence close to our railway, The fence was on an embankment and gave me a good view over the local area. This area was covered in those tall purple flowered weeds and they stretched about twenty yard to a road. The weeds were about six feet tall, densely packed like a field of corn.
I noticed that the weeds were parting and it appeared that something or someone who must have been short was coming through them towards me.
I assumed it was some kid, so sat waiting to see if it was someone I knew.
When the weeds parted about five yard in front of me, there was nothing there.

I didn't hang around to do a closer inspection. Just shot off over the railway to my own side of the tracks.

I walk through that spot regularly. Nothing has happened since.

Once, when I was a teenager I was sat on the top rail of a fence close to our railway, The fence was on an embankment and gave me a good view over the local area. This area was covered in those tall purple flowered weeds and they stretched about twenty yard to a road. The weeds were about six feet tall, densely packed like a field of corn.
I noticed that the weeds were parting and it appeared that something or someone who must have been short was coming through them towards me.
I assumed it was some kid, so sat waiting to see if it was someone I knew.
When the weeds parted about five yard in front of me, there was nothing there.

I didn't hang around to do a closer inspection. Just shot off over the railway to my own side of the tracks.
You are so lucky living in the UK, everything is so old over there, So many crazy things.
I would never have any spare time if I lived there. I would be endlessly looking at spooky stuff.

We had a resident 'spirit' in the house I lived in as a child. No one gave it a second thought.

We assumed it was 'Old Man Hartley' , a previous resident who died there.

We had a resident 'spirit' in the house I lived in as a child. No one gave it a second thought.

We assumed it was 'Old Man Hartley' , a previous resident who died there.
It is funny what you get used to isn't it.
I love the spooky stuff, old buildings and so on.
Ghost stories.
But the actual ghost bit scares the beefburgers out of me.

It's like spiders.
I hate the buggers, but snakes don't bother me a bit.
We have some of the deadliest snakes on the planet here but they don't bother me at all.

SO you living with a ghost....no way would I sleep well.
I am lucky, my house has nothing here like that.
But I have been to places that have.
I was in a pub after hours one night and the publican gave me a tour.
Its an old pub, and we went for the walk. It felt fine, until I got to one room and I could feel something not right.
I said straight out to her, "This room is haunted isn't it"
She said it is but how could I know that.
I just feel that stuff when it is present.
Don't know how or why but i do.
I suppose that's why it spooks me so much.

The ghost manifest itself as a very strong smell of a particular brand of cigar. The kind old Hartley smoked. He had been dead twenty years before we moved in. But his son lived just across the street.
My father used to ridicule the idea. But one evening when I was sitting in the kitchen with a girlfriend, he came in and asked if either of us was smoking. I pointed out that neither of us smoked, and indeed he was the only smoker in the house. He smoked a pipe and used St Bruno tobacco; I can always pick that out.

He said that there was a very strong smell of cigar smoke in the stair case area.

That is where we always detected it.

It was sort of comforting in a way. A link with the past.

I keep intending to ask the folk who live there now if they have noticed it.

It was an odd house. Years before, just after the WWI, the council decided to put in a new road at the bottom of the street. This house was in the way.
So the house owner had the house they lived in dismantled stone by stone and rebuilt further up the hill side.
You could tell as all thefloor boards were worn of both surfaces. The builders took the opportunity to reverse them. This can be seen on the old Ordnance maps.

Has anyone tried to communicate with him? I have heard of this type of ghost before. With smells etc. Very strange.
It would be interesting to see if the current resident have experienced anything.