Home Made Radio Telescope

Dundee's dress dolls would do better. The doll's body looks way better than mines.
Lol, and I could not be sure there would not be a dagger aimed at my spinal chord were you to go for a spin :)
I like my spine intact. lol

I do like motorbikes. I just don't ride. The following is 1 of my favourite songs & motorbikes feature:-

How are you fixed for being the person in the title of that song? Lol.
Hmmm, well I tick a few of the boxes, but not the main one, "leader of the pack".
Not many mothers liked me when I was young. Something about the long hair and
not so responsible attitude to life.
And you wont usually find me in the pack either.
I am more the one that takes a wrong turn at 100 mph down a road i have never been on.
Only to crash and burn when the bridge is out. lol

So how are you placed for a ride that is probably going to end in a ball of flames.
The only thing I can promise it will be fun while it lasted and full of Heavy Metal music :)

More like... this.

Leader of the pack, great song by the way :) (y)

Hmmm, well I tick a few of the boxes, but not the main one, "leader of the pack".
Not many mothers liked me when I was young. Something about the long hair and
not so responsible attitude to life.
And you wont usually find me in the pack either.
I am more the one that takes a wrong turn at 100 mph down a road i have never been on.
Only to crash and burn when the bridge is out. lol

So how are you placed for a ride that is probably going to end in a ball of flames.
The only thing I can promise it will be fun while it lasted and full of Heavy Metal music :)

More like... this.

Leader of the pack, great song by the way :) (y)

Hmm!

Oh! That's not nice. I like guys with long hair if they look similar to the guy who's singing the following songs.

https://youtu.be/9X_ViIPA-Gc
https://youtu.be/_wO8toxinoc
https://youtu.be/k5hWWe-ts2s
I don't want to ride into a
https://youtu.be/mIBTg7q9oNc

& don't like heavy metal but you seem like an interesting guy to chat with.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: LETA
Lol, lucked out again, the story of my life.
My hair was almost to my waist when I was young. Now I have a Buzz cut :(
I always tick the wrong boxes. haha
Oh well, they don't call the motorbike license Solo for nothing. :)

Try this one. Built for speed.
That's about all I do well :)

Now who is left?
I just can't think at the min.
Has to be someone pretty crazy...
Hmmm, it will come to me sooner or later I am sure.

Lol, lucked out again, the story of my life.
My hair was almost to my waist when I was young. Now I have a Buzz cut :(
I always tick the wrong boxes. haha
Oh well, they don't call the motorbike license Solo for nothing. :)

Try this one. Built for speed.
That's about all I do well :)

Lol. I was meaning long hair suited Meatloaf. I don't think he looks as good with short hair. I don't think Willie Nelson would look good with short hair either. I like well-shaven & clean-cut men too. Lol. :0)

As a new member only minutes old, I have in my "supply" pile behind my shop, a Hughes TV dish with the attached receiver gizmo still attached. Any need for that part?

As a new member only minutes old, I have in my "supply" pile behind my shop, a Hughes TV dish with the attached receiver gizmo still attached. Any need for that part?
Hey Harvis,
welcome aboard. I presume the dish is an offset one for pay TV? They are pretty tricky to aim. If it were a full dish well that's next on the wish list. But I have an old offset one on my roof now. What is the model of the reciever?
Cheers
D

Getting back to radio telescopes...

Radio skypipe have something going at around 28 MHz. also sell kits. Project Jove, or something similar.

Yeah there's a few about. I hit a major hurdle. I have the feed horn. Sourced the electronics for a good price but my drive mechanism was shoddily built and too heavy. I couldn't source a stepper motor with an appropriate reduction ratio and the whole thing ground to a halt. I know I va utilize the rotation of the earth and just have to scan up and down but I had my heart set on proper tracking. So it a ground to a stop when winter came and the problems accumulated

Did you choose the Hydrogen line as that is where some say any Aliens would transmit ?, or was it purely Jupiter related ?

Did you choose the Hydrogen line as that is where some say any Aliens would transmit ?, or was it purely Jupiter related ?
I chose the Hydrogen line as it is pretty easy to just scan up and down and let the world turn making a rudimentary map of the milky way. My problem was it became bigger than Ben Hur with the way I approached it. I was really wanting to have some computer tracking happening. I like the idea ofchucking in a RA and Dec and having it point in the right place.'
I was planning to use an arduino to control the stepper, and the PC talk to the arduino. But getting the meachanicals and ratios from stepper to mount is harder than it looks. It just sort of fell by the wayside when winter came.
Also ease of similar projects. However for me Jupiter is the holy grail. I would love to be able to listen live to Jupiter.

I made the whole thing more complicated, I wanted to set the reduction ration in such a way as to each single step of the stepper motor ultimatle would end up in some really nice division of angular rotation, 1 step = 1 second, or whatever. This would help accuracy. But it was like the chicken or the egg. Which came first. If I get a stepper of a certain reduction, can I then get an appropriate gear for it to run to get the multiple. But if I get a good gear that I can use what if I cant get a suitablly reduced stepper.

Then I though why not use a worm drive. A perfect solution, then accuracy comes town to decent timing, easy. So I set about tutorials on building a custom worm drive, This invoved fixing a 5mm thick aluminium strip around a circular wheel then using a tap and some clever construction tapping a threaded channel around the outer circumberence. A bit of all thread to drive it and we are off.
But my drill press is too small and I did not have all the tools i needed so....winter came...........

Stupid thing was had I access to a decent workshop with a lathe and some good gear I could do the hard bits in a weekend.
I will get back to it though, everytime I go out at night and look at the stars I wish I had it working.
Holidays for me in Feb, maybe then.

Due to recently removed nonsense I will do what I don't usually do and bump my own thread, what do you think @HAL , @Dr Wu , and advice?

An alternative to a worm and wheel could be to use a toothed belt between your stepper and the wheel you are wanting to drive. Not as elegant, but could be easier to do.

An alternative to a worm and wheel could be to use a toothed belt between your stepper and the wheel you are wanting to drive. Not as elegant, but could be easier to do.
Yeah it would be a lot simpler. And I realized something last night while laying in bed. I am trying for this super accurate rotation. But my feed horn is likely to be so wide in its pickup I have signals splashing in from 10000 light years either side. Kind of like putting a Lazer site on a blunder bus. Sort of no point. 🤣