Covid Lockdown

HAL (HAL9000) was a computer. Computers work in hexadecimal (XXh).

One last chance for anyone to leap in before I reveal the answer.
I know. Since you let me know it was an abbreviation I googled it. (I don't normally google. I normally work spontaneously & from memory except when I need to research then I read books first then google if the books I have don't give me the answer.Computers work in binary too.

I've tried googling a few hex-text converters. They come up with L but I don't think that's right as it wouldn't make sense for you to sign off your posts with L. Mind you, it didn't make sense for you to sign off your post with 4Ch either. Hmm! I don't know. Please can I have the answer?

In an earlier post you revealed your age.

Being a HAL9000 series computer (See 2001, a Space odyssey ) and computers work in Hex.

In hex mine is 4Ch.

4Ch hex =76 Decimal. (C=12)

The conversion is (4 X 16^2)=64 Plus (12x16^1)=12. So 64+12=76.

Yeah, I know. Boring. But it keeps an old fart amused.

HAL ;)

In an earlier post you revealed your age.

Being a HAL9000 series computer (See 2001, a Space odyssey ) and computers work in Hex.

In hex mine is 4Ch.

4Ch hex =76 Decimal. (C=12)

The conversion is (4 X 16^2)=64 Plus (12x16^1)=12. So 64+12=76.

Yeah, I know. Boring. But it keeps an old fart amused.

HAL ;)
Ha! I get you now. I did reveal my age in a previous post.

I don't think it's boring. When I was in the shop where I work before this virus as I work in heritage preservation we have an old till which doesn't work everything out for you. We've got to work prices & change out with the access to 3 tools, our heads, a pen & a piece of paper so I have to use maths. I'd have had more idea if you put it in Roman numerals though. Lol. ;0)

I've got a maths question that's not as it appears.

My conversion should read

(4X16^1) + (12X16^0)=64+12=76

I got my exponents in a twist, and the edit timed out.

Reactions: Horsa
My conversion should read

(4X16^1) + (12X16^0)=64+12=76

I got my exponents in a twist, and the edit timed out.
It's o.k. We all make mistakes. It's part of being human. It's annoying when that happens.

I have a suspicion that it may be something to do with the Roman Numerals you mentioned in an earlier post. But I have no idea really.

Please do tell .

I have a suspicion that it may be something to do with the Roman Numerals you mentioned in an earlier post. But I have no idea really.

Please do tell .
It does have something to do with Roman Numerals.

In Roman Numerals XII = 12. If you divide anything by 2 you half it. Take the bottom half off XII & you get VII which equals 7 in Roman Numerals.

I see. I do remember this trick from years ago. It was on the back of a box of matches.

While on the subject of numerals.

Did you know that if you take the first three Ababic numerals, rotate them 90 degrees clockwise, you have the 1,2,3 that we use ?

I see. I do remember this trick from years ago. It was on the back of a box of matches.
An ex-colleague got me with that when they were trying to make me quiet. They asked me quite a few questions like that when they wanted me to be quiet. I don't know whether it was on the back of a box of matches because I don't remember that.