Covid Lockdown

Another thing about Arabic numerals. While the language is written (and read) from right to left, the numerals are read from left to right, same as we do.

(I used to live in the middle East).

Another thing about Arabic numerals. While the language is written (and read) from right to left, the numerals are read from left to right, same as we do.

(I used to live in the middle East).
That's interesting. Thank you very much for the information.

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate......be safe and please ignore our silly president who is urging his fans to get together over the holidays.

In an earlier post you revealed your age.

Being a HAL9000 series computer (See 2001, a Space odyssey ) and computers work in Hex.

In hex mine is 4Ch.

4Ch hex =76 Decimal. (C=12)

The conversion is (4 X 16^2)=64 Plus (12x16^1)=12. So 64+12=76.

Yeah, I know. Boring. But it keeps an old fart amused.

HAL ;)
I knew the Hex, as a coder it stood out like dogs balls.

But I was looking for a binary significance like my private email. :cool: Its a binary thing I have had for decades.
So whats the significance of the 76? Surely not your age.
I knew it wouldn't be the octal equivalent unless your a Linux nerd like me,
and the binary didn't have a pattern that meant much, wasn't symmetrical etc???
I even went
HAL9000
IBM900 <- and played with that, H-I, A-B, L-M
So in the end I over thought it to buggery :)
Typical of me.

Speaking of which, as an obvious fan you must be, do you like the Pink Floyd Echoes Easter egg,
Personally I recon it kills the original last 22 mins, no comparison.
I can never decide which is best, there are two versions that I know of with a second or two difference for starting times,
both are good but bugger up later in the 22 mins in a couple of places.

I wish I was good at Math, I am frustrated by it, as a coder, number systems, basic algebra and trig and stuff are pretty easy.
But the complex stuff eludes me, when I did calculus at uni (the first time) it did my head in. It always felt you started with some obscure complex equation, applied some obscure meaningless rules to it, and ended up with an equally complex and pointless equation when done. I know that's not true but it always made me feel like that. Same with chemistry, the equations did my head in.
Yet Physics I aced because all the math had a practical application (that I could recognize) you take something like s=ut+1/2at^2 and it is usually not hard to see if your answer is stupid. How the hell do you do that with calculus :)

My first time through UNI in the mid 80s, In my finals I got the worst Chemistry mark in history at 26%, scraped through calculus with a pass, yet got the highest end of year mark of the year for physics at 96% (should have been 100 :( pedantic lecturer) I coached a Spanish girl in physics who on her last physics exam failed on 35%, she got the highest female mark for the year at 86% with only a little prompting from me.

But I am shit at Math. I look at numbers sometimes, and it feels like I am seeing something, I dunno, a pattern a connection, but don't have the ability to recognize what I am seeing.
I have thought about starting Math again for brain exercises, but dunno where to start.
Bloody annoying

...So whats the significance of the 76? Surely not your age...

Yes, Indeed. A card-carrying old fart.

:)

p.s. If you want brain exercise, go back to Assembler coding. Or even Machine Code. True hair shirt stuff there.
I'm just going through 'Peter Norton's Assembly Language for the IBM PC'. Haven't got to any Assembly yet. It starts with loading the registers using DEBUG. In Machine Code.

Last edited by a moderator: