Poems and Stuff

Dundee,

Back in the distant past you queried the author of 'The Red Knight.

This may interest you.

HAL.
Thanks HAL, thats us a good connection.
The Red Cross Night seems to appear in a lot of poems.
The poem talks of the Holy war which was the 12th Cetury.
The word Paynim seems to have its origin in the 13th century and is a generic name used to describe Pagans, Muslims and similar.
I tried to find the origin of Hildebrand but this name pops up in a few places.
There was an 11th century Pope named Hildebrand, and also Hildebrand is referred to in Germanic Ledgend.
The Red Cross night as you pointed out was 16th century, and fictional above.
The most prominiant Gilbert I found was Gilbert De Clare from the 13th century, however there seems to be no reference to Hildebrand or Lady Jane anywhere in hs history.

There were other clues but I have never been able to find if the poem refers to real people and events or just romantic legend.

Hmm yes, so many historical Red Cross Knights.

The one I am searching for, from the poem is..

Called Gilbert
His father is Hildebrand
They both fight in a Holy War
His Love is lady Jane,

Then we have this

A form all sapless from the tomb
Stands with the scutcheons wave,
And trophies rattle in the wind
O’er murdered Hilda's grave.

Who is Hilda??

In ghostly sheet a spectre stands
Upon the midnight Hill,
And wails unto the gibbous moon
The wife of Larrendill.

Then for Larrendill we have this reference which seems certainly connected..

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-eve-of-death/

Then a reference of less significance is...

I’ll slumber calm, my Red-Cross knight,
Where’er you rest with me,
Be it by Ascalon’s leaguered walls,
Or waves of Galilee.

Which is interestig as this is a reference to the first crusade in the 12th century and the Battle of Ascalon.
Is she saying that as a current or past reference?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ascalon

How can such a beautiful poem be so unknown.

In a way it sounds very Arthurian. With hints of the Germanic Gothic about it. Particularly the names.

I have a book of Icelandic Saga verse ( The Earthly Paradise) translated by William Morris. Very good once you get into the rhythm of the metre they are written in.

'The Lovers of Gudrun' is one of my favourites.

That was a complex introduction, it does not look like a book you could define as light reading.
It is weird that such intrigue can look so romantic. If you picked that tale up and dropped it in 2020 you would just see a crazy woman manipulating blokes to kill people. Yet when you read that there and I suspect the book itself it all seems so romantic.

I love the way poetry and tales were written back then, the language is such that a narrative of a man feeding his pigs on a rainy day can sound like a poem.

I love the Aussie way of speaking, it has a calm friendly funny way about it. But it is not exactly a romanic language.
Our most famous poet Banjo Patterson wrote some amazing peotry, but it reads very different to The Red Cross Knight.

...If you picked that tale up and dropped it in 2020 you would just see a crazy woman manipulating blokes to kill people..

Isn't 'Game of Thrones' based on a similar concept ?

...If you picked that tale up and dropped it in 2020 you would just see a crazy woman manipulating blokes to kill people..

Isn't 'Game of Thrones' based on a similar concept ?
Yeah absolutely, but I just realized the comparison. I love medievil tales and poetry, they are so romantic. But if you take the plots of so many at face value often they are as grotty as any modern day murder?
Yet they feel so different in the medievil context.
I just never thought about it like that before.

Horsa, got to be your turn.

O.K.

A funny 1 to start.

Cake, cake, beautiful cake!
Nice to eat & lovely to bake.
Don't eat a cake that is fake.
If you do your teeth will break.
Cake, cake, beautiful cake!

I'd like to be in a place where the land meets the sea.
I'd like to be in a world where all the animals are free.
In a world of joy, peace & love's where I want to be.
A world where there's no wars, fights & rows is for me.

Reactions: Dundee
I wrote this 1 a few years ago but thought it was very apt for this time of year. I hope you enjoy.

Autumn

Autumn is a time when all the leaves from deciduous trees go red, yellow, orange & brown.
This makes some people wear a frown.

Then the leaves from deciduous leaves from the trees fall.
At Halloween the children dressed as witches, wizards, vampires & ghosts “trick or treat” call.

This is also a time when farmers their harvest reap.
If it's been poor they sometimes weep.

It's also a time when it gets cold & dull.
People start to wear clothes made of wool.

They do this to keep them warm.
We have the occasional storm.

Reactions: Dundee
In that case, do you like "The Canterbury Tales"? I love it. It was my favourite book at 1 time.
I have never gotten around to reading it Horsa, growing up in rural Austraia exposure to English Literature was limited.
It is sort of a case of you don't know what you don't know. So uness you stumble across something, your often not mixing in circles that add to your library. But I have been meaning to read it.

I have never gotten around to reading it Horsa, growing up in rural Austraia exposure to English Literature was limited.
It is sort of a case of you don;t know what yu dont know. So uness you stmble across something, your often not mixing in circles that add to your library. But I have been eaning to read it.
I think it's very good, Dundee. I love how Geoffrey Chaucer kept the story going & flowing while keeping the rhyme going & flowing. I'm very sorry to hear you didn't get much access to English Literature & hope you manage to get hold of a copy of Canterbury Tales as I think you'd love it.

I think it's very good, Dundee. I love how Geoffrey Chaucer kept the story going & flowing while keeping the rhyme going & flowing. I'm very sorry to hear you didn't get much access to English Literature & hope you manage to get hold of a copy of Canterbury Tales as I think you'd love it.
Ill check it out, it has been on the to do list for a long time.

Reactions: Horsa
How do you copy and past a Libreoffice file to this forum ?

If I just 'copy' from Libreoffice, when I try and 'paste' it here, nothing happens.

Is there a tech genius in the house ?

How do you copy and past a Libreoffice file to this forum ?

If I just 'copy' from Libreoffice, when I try and 'paste' it here, nothing happens.

Is there a tech genius in the house ?
I have never tried an upload like that, i would just copy paste the text . But if it is a lot of text it would need to span a few posts, thisis a @LETA question.