Science & Reality

One is a toddler - so technically not a baby - and the other one is almost of military age ;-)
Jesus I dare you to tell their mum that. Military age lol. I hope you can. Run fast or fight good lol. Never to young to listen to metal with poppy. 😎

• Haha
Reactions: LETA
Jesus I dare you to tell their mum that. Military age lol. I hope you can. Run fast or fight good lol. Never to young to listen to metal with poppy. 😎
They are so lucky to have such a kewl grandpa. I love my deda a lot. He taught me to play chess.

They are so lucky to have such a kewl grandpa. I love my deda a lot. He taught me to play chess.
Have you ever sat somewhere quietly and watched the people go bye? Looked at their faces, the way they walk, their clothes, and tried to guess who they are. I do always, I am always watching. If you take any single person no matter how outwardly unremarkable, they could tell you tales from their lives that would amaze, Everyone has a story to tell. Most just don't tell it. I love to listen to people, particularly old people. You know that person who when you talk to them, you can see they are not listening, but just waiting for you to stop so they can talk, to one up your words. Well I am the opposite, I listen and almost trip out on peoples tales. Sometimes I am so engrossed I can see them in their story like I am there,. with them.

I have always wanted to write a book, it would be called, "The Book of Words"
I would pick random people, with a bias on old folks, and ask them to tell me a story from their past.
I would record it and I imagine I would record many tales per person.

Then put one or two stories per person in a big coffee table book, with pictures and history of each person and tale.

I think it so sad, that that little old lady or man across the way has 80 years of incredible life experience and history stored away that so few ask about or care about, that will one day disappear when they pass away.
Even worse when it is a loved one, a nanna who is loved but taken for granted with patronizing care.

I have a poem floating in my head about where thoughts go when you die, if I can put it together i will post it.

This has hit home for me of late, I am 58, my eldest sister is a young 73. We are the family historians.
She has been the lead, I have been more the researcher. But she has so much family knowledge stored away in her head.
10 days ago she had a stroke. My beautiful sister who is so smart, is now stuck in a 30 min memory loop, she cant read any more, she has a lot of trouble speaking and when she does it often makes no sense. She bursts into tears of despair every 20 to 30 mins or so, she is trapped and cant get out. Early days, but it is heart breaking.

So if you have an older loved one, or if you are old. Tell the tales, give the youngens your past.
Because one day you wont be there for them to ask, and right now if they are young they might not yet realize they will one day want to know.

Where to thoughts go when you die.

Have you ever sat somewhere quietly and watched the people go bye? Looked at their faces, the way they walk, their clothes, and tried to guess who they are. I do always, I am always watching. If you take any single person no matter how outwardly unremarkable, they could tell you tales from their lives that would amaze, Everyone has a story to tell. Most just don't tell it. I love to listen to people, particularly old people. You know that person who when you talk to them, you can see they are not listening, but just waiting for you to stop so they can talk, to one up your words. Well I am the opposite, I listen and almost trip out on peoples tales. Sometimes I am so engrossed I can see them in their story like I am there,. with them.

I have always wanted to write a book, it would be called, "The Book of Words"
I would pick random people, with a bias on old folks, and ask them to tell me a story from their past.
I would record it and I imagine I would record many tales per person.

Then put one or two stories per person in a big coffee table book, with pictures and history of each person and tale.

I think it so sad, that that little old lady or man across the way has 80 years of incredible life experience and history stored away that so few ask about or care about, that will one day disappear when they pass away.
Even worse when it is a loved one, a nanna who is loved but taken for granted with patronizing care.

I have a poem floating in my head about where thoughts go when you die, if I can put it together i will post it.

This has hit home for me of late, I am 58, my eldest sister is a young 73. We are the family historians.
She has been the lead, I have been more the researcher. But she has so much family knowledge stored away in her head.
10 days ago she had a stroke. My beautiful sister who is so smart, is now stuck in a 30 min memory loop, she cant read any more, she has a lot of trouble speaking and when she does it often makes no sense. She bursts into tears of despair every 20 to 30 mins or so, she is trapped and cant get out. Early days, but it is heart breaking.

So if you have an older loved one, or if you are old. Tell the tales, give the youngens your past.
Because one day you wont be there for them to ask, and right now if they are young they might not yet realize they will one day want to know.

Where to thoughts go when you die.
That's fascinating. I agree although I'm rather loquacious myself. I'd love to read your book.

I'm very sorry to hear about your Sister. I hope she's going to be O.K. & get some resemblance of her former self with help. Some do. Others don't. 1 of my Uncles had 1 & is more or less himself again. Most of the time he sounds himself because he's had help to talk again. He makes sense most of the time, remembers almost everything & still reads his newspapers. He does stutter sometimes though. 1 of my Aunts had 1. Unfortunately she died from it. It hits different people different ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also sad to hear about your sister.

I had a mini-stroke 13 years ago. I remember the process. And knew enough about it to be able o tell my daughter, who was with me at the time, what was going to happen.
Fortunately, just as my face was beginning to freeze, I suddenly came out of it.

It did have some side effects. But I am still here.

I sympathise completely with your sisters frustration, I have occasions when I know I should know something, but can't place it. It's gone.

I had a mini-stroke 13 years ago. I remember the process. And knew enough about it to be able o tell my daughter, who was with me at the time, what was going to happen.
Fortunately, just as my face was beginning to freeze, I suddenly came out of it.

It did have some side effects. But I am still here.

I sympathise completely with your sisters frustration, I have occasions when I know I should know something, but can't place it. It's gone.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I saw someone having a stroke in a café. The owner got the ambulance but was telling the call responder everything except that the man's face went lop-sided. I told her she needed to tell them that. She said that was nothing to do with it & carried on regardless. The paramedics who came asked if he had a fit. I said it looks like a stroke to me. They wouldn't have it. When he came back he told us he'd had a stroke.

I thought I was going to have a stroke last year. I'd been trying to stop Dad doing dangerous things & arguing with everyone as he had dementia. At the time I daren't say what I thought as he had a blockage on his heart. I was always wrong. If I'd have got soc. services or put him in a home he'd have got violent. I saw no solution. (I felt so stupid because I didn't know what to do & couldn't come up with a solution of any kind.) I was under a lot of pressure. In a café 1 side of my face went numb. I thought "Please can either the numbness go away or the other side feel the same way". Then after a few minutes the feeling came back on that side & the numbness went onto the other side before the numbness went on both sides just before the feeling came back. As my Aunt had a stroke which she later died of through the shock of seeing another of my Aunts really ill with lung cancer I was really scared that I was going to have 1 too. Luckily, I went back to normal slightly afterwards & other than scared at 1st that it would happen again it has had no effect on me. I feel much better now I'm not under so much pressure. I'm just scared I might get dementia & get argumentative like Dad did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very sorry to hear that. I saw someone having a stroke in a café. The owner got the ambulance but was telling the call responder everything except that the man's face went lop-sided. I told her she needed to tell them that. She said that was nothing to do with it & carried on regardless. The paramedics who came asked if he had a fit. I said it looks like a stroke to me. They wouldn't have it. When he came back he told us he'd had a stroke.

I thought I was going to have a stroke last year. I'd been trying to stop Dad doing dangerous things & arguing with everyone as he had dementia. At the time I daren't say what I thought as he had a blockage on his heart. I was always wrong. If I'd have got soc. services or put him in a home he'd have got violent. I saw no solution. (I felt so stupid because I didn't know what to do & couldn't come up with a solution of any kind.) I was under a lot of pressure. In a café 1 side of my face went numb. I thought "Please can either the numbness go away or the other side feel the same way". Then after a few minutes the feeling came back on that side & the numbness went onto the other side before the numbness went on both sides just before the feeling came back. As my Aunt had a stroke which she later died of through the shock of seeing another of my Aunts really ill with lung cancer I was really scared that I was going to have 1 too. Luckily, I went back to normal slightly afterwards & other than scared at 1st that it would happen again it has had no effect on me. I feel much better now I'm not under so much pressure. I'm just scared I might get dementia & get argumentative like Dad did.
I have been wording my sons up for about 10 years now, if I get dimensia, or some debilitating disease with an unchangeable outcome I have sworn to never put them through seeing the old man off his rocker, or worse still have one of the poor buggers have to care for me. I will give all that I love a kiss and a hug, have a final piss up, and disappear into the outback while I still have my dignity. I would rather the boys wonder what happened to the old man, was I eaten by a crock, or fall off a cliff pissed than see me rotting in some old folks home not knowing my own name. They know my decision.

I have been wording my sons up for about 10 years now, if I get dimensia, or some debilitating disease with an unchangeable outcome I have sworn to never put them through seeing the old man off his rocker, or worse still have one of the poor buggers have to care for me. I will give all that I love a kiss and a hug, have a final piss up, and disappear into the outback while I still have my dignity. I would rather the boys wonder what happened to the old man, was I eaten by a crock, or fall off a cliff pissed than see me rotting in some old folks home not knowing my own name. They know my decision.
I'm glad you've told them what you want & I hope you get what you want. I don't think you'll get dementia. I hope you don't for your sake & the sake of your family. It's very hard for everyone. Dad didn't want that. He wanted us to care for him though we couldn't cope. It was very hard for all of us.

There seems to be a re-occurring theme in much of this. Reality is very much a matter of perspective.
Many cultural and religious practices around the world see the link toa greater common... conciesnes, oneness? as a matter of truth an common sense. I remember reading about the Holographic Universe where it was suggested that if indeed at a deeper level, my mind, your mind and the mind of another creature on the opposite side of the Galaxy are all connected, why should there not be a glitch here and there where i perceive a thought out of your head. We would go "wow ESP" you read my mind, but if we are all one, and part of the same reality, why is it so difficult to think I might accidentally pick up on a bit of your data space allocated to your conciess self. Sadhguru talks about his meditation all the time, he has some wonderful lectures on the nature of reality that can be practiced. I have seen most of his stuff online, bought his course and completed it but in a truly western way got distracted by life. I am trying to practice. This is what I admire most about Sadguru, and in a similar way Budhism. You need no faith, you just have to try it. In fact Sadhguru makes a point of saying beleive nothing. Try it yoursef and know.

I read somewhere that if you compare the brain patterns of a new born baby who has little to no way to know what they are seeing, that their prain patterns are very much the same as a person tripping on Acid.

I have had small but very profound glimpses of what Sadhguru and others talk about as reality over the years.
Enough for me to know that what my eyes tell me is my world is a tiny shadow of what our universe really is.

There seems to be a re-occurring theme in much of this. Reality is very much a matter of perspective.
Many cultural and religious practices around the world see the link toa greater common... conciessnes, oneness? as a matter of truth an common sense. I reember reading about the Holographic UNiverse where it was suggested that if indeed at a deeper level, my mind, your mind and the mind of another creature on the opposite side of the Galaxy are all connected, why should there not be a glitch here and there where i perceive a thought out of your head. We would gowow ESP you read my mind, but if we are all one, and part of the same reality, why is it so difficult to think I might accidentally pick up on a bit of your data space allocated to your conciess self. Sadhguru talks about his meditation all the time, he has some wonderful lectures on the nature of reality that can be practiced. I have seen most of his stuffonline, bought his course and completed it but in a truly western way got distracted by life. I am trying to practice. This is what I admire most about Sadguru, and in a similar way Budhism. You need no faith, you just have to try it. In fact Sadhguru makes a point of saying beleive nothing. Try it yoursef and know.

I read somewhere that if you compare the brain patterns of a new born baby who has little to know way to know what they are seeing, that the prain patterns are very uch the same as a person tripping on Acid.

I have had small but very profound glimpses of what Sadhguru and others talk about as reality over the years.
Enough for me to know that what my eyes tell me is my world is a tiny shadow of what our uiverse really is.
I agree that reality is a matter of perspective. We only understand the world & know what's going on in the world through what's going on in our heads. We all see the world the same way except people who have sight problems but we think about it differently & that changes the way we experience & understand the world. Our experiences, culture, upbringing & education later influence this. I've had a few experiences of E.S.P. but I don't believe what you've mentioned about everyone's minds being connected though.

I agree that reality is a matter of perspective. We only understand the world & know what's going on in the world through what's going on in our heads. We all see the world the same way except people who have sight problems but we think about it differently & that changes the way we experience & understand the world. Our experiences, culture, upbringing & education later influence this. I've had a few experiences of E.S.P. but I don't believe what you've mentioned about everyone's minds being connected though.
It' not so much as everyones minds being connected, but that everything and everyone is part of the same collective conciessness that is reality. When we die we return back to the reality, until we are reborn. That is one enterpretation at least. The one I personally beleive.

This is going to sound contradictive, but I don't beleive in God, in the sence of a tall man with a beard sitting in heaven, yet if you tell me that you had a life changing experience and felt the presence of God, I beleive you completely. My beleife is that no matter what I say or you say, there is only one truth. I beleive in a collective conciessness that is everything. A religious person has an experience and their personal sphere of reference is one of say christianity, so they enterpret it as god. However a Budhist who has the same experience enterprets it as Nirvanna, and so on. Same truth, reality. But a different enterpretation depending on your culture, religion, temperament and who you are.

It' not so much as everyones minds being connected, but that everything and everyone is part of the same collective conciessness that is reality. When we die we return back to the reality, until we are reborn. That is one enterpretation at least. The one I personally beleive.

This is going to sound contradictive, but I don't beleive in God, in the sence of a tall man with a beard sitting in heaven, yet if you tell me that you had a life changing experience and felt the presence of God, I beleive you completely. My beleife is that no matter what I say or you say, there is only one truth. I beleive in a collective conciessness that is everything. A religious person has an experience and their personal sphere of reference is one of say christianity, so they enterpret it as god. However a Budhist who has the same experience enterprets it as Nirvanna, and so on. Same truth, reality. But a different enterpretation depending on your culture, religion, temperament and who you are.
Now that is something I could believe.

I don't believe in God. I believe that there is only 1 truth too but everyone interprets it in different ways & some people don't see or tell it & some people have a totally unrealistic view of it.

Now that is something I could believe.

I don't believe in God. I believe that there is only 1 truth too but everyone interprets it in different ways & some people don't see or tell it & some people have a totally unrealistic view of it.
When I was 18 ish, yikes 40 years ago!!
I joined a spiritual meditation group. It was Tantra so it had a certain appeal to a young bloke back then ;)
It was really good, I got a lot out of it. Our Guru was a wonderful tiny Indian lady named Dada, Nalinalissa. She was so wise.
After a few months I stayed back after lessons one night and asked her a question to something that was troubling me.

I asked her, "With the greatest respect, I believe all you have taught me, the evidence of the truth is in what we practice, but, even so, if we were to gather a Christian Priest, A Muslim cleric, a Hindu and others here, they would each have a valid but different Truth, why is your/our truth more valid than theirs?"

Honestly, I expected a scolding, but she was delighted with the question and told me so, she was positively gleeful.
She said "It is a great question and here is my answer."

She said that all the religions and philosophy's in the world and the people who follow them are like people crossing a great river. She said some people cross in great big boats with lights shining in the water, gathering up with them all they can save, others are in small boats with closed windows, madly rowing ignoreing all around trying to get to the other side. Others are people on there own, just swimming to stay alive, floundering not noticing any one else.

But then she smiled and said, but in the end, there is only one jetty on the other side.

She said life is a journey, you have to learn as much as you can, taking with you what makes sense to you.
Throwing away that which makes no sense, and holding on to what does.
But in the end, we all end up in the same reality.

I never forgot that, and it is why my personal belief has bits of so many philosophy's.

Oh, end-note....
It turned out that my spiritual group was actually run by Ananda Marga, a minor detail they left out. lol
When my Dad found out he went ballistic and made me quit. Fair call I guess.
It was the 80s and I was young and stupid.
Luckily I ended up finding some less controversial groups to join so my journey continued.

When I was 18 ish, yikes 40 years ago!!
I joined a spiritual meditation group. It was Tantra so it had a certain appeal to a young bloke back then ;)
It was really good, I got a lot out of it. Our Guru was a wonderful tiny Indian lady named Dada, Nalinalissa. She was so wise.
After a few months I stayed back after lessons one night and asked her a question to something that was troubling me.

I asked her, "With the greatest respect, I believe all you have taught me, the evidence of the truth is in what we practice, but, even so, if we were to gather a Christian Priest, A Muslim cleric, a Hindu and others here, they would each have a valid but different Truth, why is your/our truth more valid than theirs?"

Honestly, I expected a scolding, but she was delighted with the question and told me so, she was positively gleeful.
She said "It is a great question and here is my answer."

She said that all the religions and philosophy's in the world and the people who follow them are like people crossing a great river. She said some people cross in great big boats with lights shining in the water, gathering up with them all they can save, others are in small boats with closed windows, madly rowing ignoreing all around trying to get to the other side. Others are people on there own, just swimming to stay alive, floundering not noticing any one else.

But then she smiled and said, but in the end, there is only one jetty on the other side.

She said life is a journey, you have to learn as much as you can, taking with you what makes sense to you.
Throwing away that which makes no sense, and holding on to what does.
But in the end, we all end up in the same reality.

I never forgot that, and it is why my personal belief has bits of so many philosophy's.
I learnt meditation in middle school but we just did the practical side of it.

I agree with your penultimate paragraph.

I was brought up to be a protestant. I stopped believing in God after so long of being an agnostic because of lack of evidence & the fact that a lot of wars in history were supposedly caused by religions. There are a lot of good in different beliefs. I took a bit from different beliefs. I still read the Bible but I see it as a good work of literature written when people didn't know as much as we do today to explain how things came to be & it was also written at a time of animosity to give rules to the people. Job is a good example of good poetry as are psalms & I follow the 10 commandments. I believe in & practise the herbalism & aromatherapy side of paganism & celebrate Halloween the Celtic way. I practise the meditation side of Buddhism. Muslim friends say that in their practise they have a saying "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not o.k. It's not quite the end.". I believe that. Therefore I've made my own belief system by the good bits of other belief systems though I haven't really taken a deep look inside all different beliefs.

I learnt meditation in middle school but we just did the practical side of it.

I agree with your penultimate paragraph.

I was brought up to be a protestant. I stopped believing in God after so long of being an agnostic because of lack of evidence & the fact that a lot of wars in history were supposedly caused by religions. There are a lot of good in different beliefs. I took a bit from different beliefs. I still read the Bible but I see it as a good work of literature written when people didn't know as much as we do today to explain how things came to be & it was also written at a time of animosity to give rules to the people. Job is a good example of good poetry as are psalms & I follow the 10 commandments. I believe in & practise the herbalism & aromatherapy side of paganism & celebrate Halloween the Celtic way. I practise the meditation side of Buddhism. Muslim friends say that in their practise they have a saying "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not o.k. It's not quite the end.". I believe that. Therefore I've made my own belief system by the good bits of other belief systems though I haven't really taken a deep look inside all different beliefs.
Well you have given it all much thought which is more than most. We seem to have a similar belief system.
Many folks talk the talk, but few walk the walk. Studying one belief system to a point of understanding might take a life time.
The best most of us can realistically hope for if we want to get a broad knowledge is just that, do our best in the time we have to spare and go from there. It is more than most do.

Reactions: Horsa
Well you have given it all much thought which is more than most. We seem to have a similar belief system.
Many folks talk the talk, but few walk the walk. Studying one belief system to a point of understanding might take a life time.
The best most of us can realistically hope for if we want to get a broad knowledge is just that, do our best in the time we have to spare and go from there. It is more than most do.
I did though I've forgotten some of it & have to revisit it at times. I can't complain though as I've read, studied & learnt much more including other things. We do seem to have a similar belief system. I know. Not many people "practise what they preach".

I did though I've forgotten some of it & have to revisit it at times. I can't complain though as I've read, studied & learnt much more including other things. We do seem to have a similar belief system. I know. Not many people "practise what they preach".
Sometimes I wish I was born in some little village somewhere exotic like Tibet, and I spent my life in spiritual growth instead of part of this terrible western meat grinding machine.

Reactions: Horsa
Sometimes I wish I was born in some little village somewhere exotic like Tibet, and I spent my life in spiritual growth instead of part of this terrible western meat grinding machine.
I'm just glad that I was born in a time when there is access to so much information & we can choose our beliefs for ourselves rather than being taught what to believe & being forced to practise the religion we're told to.

Reactions: Dundee