Is it all over ?

Like I said, I strongly suspect our more technologically advanced neighbours know about us already, so whether or not we send out a signal to them or not probably makes little difference.

Also, as a civilisation becomes more advanced, I'd expect culture and belief gives way to rationale and knowledge. So I don't expect an advanced civilisation would be ruled by customs borne in mystery, but rather by pure logic.

Like I said, I strongly suspect our more technologically advanced neighbours know about us already, so whether or not we send out a signal to them or not probably makes little difference.
Yes and that knowledge will not change their nature.

Also, as a civilisation becomes more advanced, I'd expect culture and belief gives way to rationale and knowledge. So I don't expect an advanced civilisation would be ruled by customs borne in mystery, but rather by pure logic.
And what if their circumstances were such that it was logical to put their motivations above our well being. 200+ years ago England was the peak of civilization. They ame to Australia. Didn't work out to well for the Aboriginals hat were here for 40k years. Why do you assume ET to be different?

And what if their circumstances were such that it was logical to put their motivations above our well being. 200+ years ago England was the peak of civilization. They ame to Australia. Didn't work out to well for the Aboriginals hat were here for 40k years. Why do you assume ET to be different?
I think I've answered that :-)

You have to ask 'Why would 'they' want to come here ?

Try turning it around.

Why do we want to find some other hospitable planet ?

Because we have, a) overcrowded our own. And b) in the distant future ours will be destroyed by the Sun.

So if we don't move on, we as a race are finished.

And we know how we have treated people who get in the way.

Reactions: Occult Hunter
Not knowing someone else's motivation doesn't mean that they dont have them. Does dolphin or monkey understand why we study their habitat? But the last bit I agree with. I'm not optimistic about the future of the human race

I accept it's easy to superimpose Earth ideas onto alien concepts. However, whilst I use Earth based science fiction analogies ('the Prime Directive', 'an inter-galactic agreement'), these are based on logic, and I'd strongly expect logic is universal throughout the cosmos (e.g. that 1+1=2). Unlike arbitrary ideas which require telling to spread, logic doesn't require communication between two planets for each planet to arrive at the same conclusion. So, this is my logic which led to the 'Prime Directive' suggestion: (i) In general, earthlings are unsure as to the existence of aliens; (ii) Humans may only be a century away from establishing whether life exists around our nearest stars; (iii) most stars have multiple planets, and it's more likely that intelligent civilisations are commonplace than rare because we know there is an intelligent civilisation here on Earth (if you landed on a planet and there was a patch of grass under your ship, you could reasonably assume it is more likely grass is commonplace around the planet than you have landed on the one patch of grass on the whole planet); (iv) It is very unlikely Earth is the pinnacle of advancement, and instead there are many more advanced civilisations, which are 100s, millions, even billions of years more advanced than Earth - and therefore they likely have long since surveyed their galactic neighbours; (v) but they don't contact us (explicitly anyway) - this is the Fermi Paradox as I guess you know - "where are they?" - I deduce that as they are probably capable and yet don't announce themselves to everyone on Earth they either don't want to, or have agreed not to, or have been ordered not to, or are unable to due to some power putting a barrier around Earth - but for what purpose? Clearly humans would have a much easier time of it if aliens swanned in and took over. There'd be abundance, no crime, harmony. But also, humans would probably still be be morally immature, and generally wouldn't love one another. Therefore, I guess, there is an infinite wisdom, either possessed by 'aliens' through independent logic or communicated and agreed upon via a cosmic web, to allow young races to make their mistakes (though maybe there is help given in subtle ways) and thus be able to build, and be loving citizens of, a paradise like global community without the requirement of, or at least less of a requirement of, external police to check and control their behaviour. My guess is that the plan is that we unite as a global family, dispense with competition, and cooperate on a global scale to do what is best for all sentient beings, for all time to come. This 'One World' idea is derived from logic, one doesn't need to read it in a book to come up with it, and hence I guess the same idea is held throughout the cosmological family.
I think your ideas are logical and sound but within a human philosophical/ontological framework. But dealing with a truly alien culture changes things and all bets are off. If they have developed/evolved along similar lines to us ,are bipedal, and humanoid then we might have some common ground. Other wise we simply can't assume anything .
An example from a novel I read some years back: Humans discovered that aliens were mining the materials around Saturn and other outer planets and they were not directly aware of us until we sent a space ship to meet and greet them. After difficulty in communication at first we finally were able to communicate . After talking to the aliens and learning about each other the aliens, who were a hive mind/race, decided we were 'illogical' beings and decided we should be eliminated as a threat to other space faring races. The novel ended with the human ship racing to warn earth with the aliens not far behind.
Again we simply don't know what we might encounter....it would be nice if the aliens had your sense of fair play and enlightened altruistic attitudes but sadly there's no gurantee that will be the case if and when we have an open dialogue.

Reactions: Dundee
Here is about as credible a source as I can find on short notice, It doesnt ring a bell with me as where I found it first.
I reckon it was a mission based sub page of a NASA website with photoes related to that.
With an image folder, that had a group of 6 marked at the time as space junk. 1 to 5 are interesting but in fairness could be anything. Image 6 looks pretty much like some sort of craft to me. Not saying it is ET, might be secret tech.
But I dont think it is space junk.

I have my originals here and a high res Zoom Ican confirm shows this.

iu
Hey @Dr Wu and @HAL

Sorry to quote myself but please expand the above and read...

Please don't take this as a challenge or criticism or anything nasty. It is not one and I am enjoying both your friendships.
But I am lacking understanding of the thought process of...pardon the probable incorrect pigeon hole, but of the skeptic and or scientist.

I have had debates with Doc and to a lesser degree Hal on many topics in the past where you guys go to great lengths to show me why in your view my thoughts on any given topic are unscientific and my sources are not credible and anecdotal.
I have many times been challenged to providing a credible sources which as we all know most times we/I cant.

However in this instance I have provided a link to a NASA site. it has an image that IMHO the most hard line skeptic has to admit looks like some sort of craft. I am not saying ET. But... perhaps secret tech..I dunno.

I have to assume that you both have an interest in Aliens, ET, secret tech...or you would not be here, with the vast credentials you both have with past research.

So my questions is, Doc in particular, but you both go to great effort when it is time to debunk.
But here we have an interesting credible image from a reliable source, of something not in our known abilities.

So if you are interested, why does it only warrant a thumbs up from Doc, and a no comment from Hal
If you are interested in the subject,

Why so uninterested in something that is far from proof, but at the very least much more credible than most.
Are you just unwilling to say wow?

It is not a smoking gun, but it is a galaxy better than swamp gas,

I guess what I am asking is, you both require proof, and or credible sources.
I have provided it here, but I hear crickets.

Why so much effort in debunking, demanding proof every post anyone makes.
But why so silent on a...not too bad and at least a little credible event?

Hey @Dr Wu and @HAL

Sorry to quote myself but please expand the above and read...

Please don't take this as a challenge or criticism or anything nasty. It is not one and I am enjoying both your friendships.
But I am lacking understanding of the thought process of...pardon the probable incorrect pigeon hole, but of the skeptic and or scientist.

I have had debates with Doc and to a lesser degree Hal on many topics in the past where you guys go to great lengths to show me why in your view my thoughts on any given topic are unscientific and my sources are not credible and anecdotal.
I have many times been challenged to providing a credible sources which as we all know most times we/I cant.

However in this instance I have provided a link to a NASA site. it has an image that IMHO the most hard line skeptic has to admit looks like some sort of craft. I am not saying ET. But... perhaps secret tech..I dunno.

I have to assume that you both have an interest in Aliens, ET, secret tech...or you would not be here, with the vast credentials you both have with past research.

So my questions is, Doc in particular, but you both go to great effort when it is time to debunk.
But here we have an interesting credible image from a reliable source, of something not in our known abilities.

So if you are interested, why does it only warrant a thumbs up from Doc, and a no comment from Hal
If you are interested in the subject,

Why so uninterested in something that is far from proof, but at the very least much more credible than most.
Are you just unwilling to say wow?

It is not a smoking gun, but it is a galaxy better than swamp gas,
I think it certainly isn't swamp gas....but it could be debris or it also could be some kind of 'craft'. It's an unknown and that's about all we can say. The fact that NASA posted it on their own web site leads me to believe they know it's not alien and are pretty sure no one else will be able to show that.... or they would not have put it out there so blatantly imho.(I did look at it on the NASA link you gave)
As far as the object itself...it is funny shaped for an aircraft but then I supose an 'alien' craft might look odd, In some of the other angles/ pics you posted above it does look like debris to me but one or two different positions makes it look like a possible 'craft'.
I would ask ...do you know if NASA has said where they think the 'debis' came from...what is it exactly and what did it fall off from?

...Why so much effort in debunking,..

There is no debunking going on.

To debunk something means to ignore any possibility of what it may be with the added ingredient of trying to steer the conversation away from examining whatever is there.
'Oh, it's just swamp gas' is a typical debunking idea. It is saying 'well, we all know it can't be anything else'. Trying to turn the spotlight elsewhere.
Possibly the de-bunker has an interest in the object not being examined too closely.
If someone then points out that this sighting was in a desert with no means of generating swamp gas then the response is to try ridicule the observer.
We saw this in action over the Eupan sightings.

One must remember, at all times, that the observer is the only person who has first hand knowledge of the incident. Everything else is conjecture. And the observer may be mistaken.
He/she can be one hundred percent accurate in their description. But if they are observing something they themselves do not recognise, it doesn't mean that some one else may not know exactly what it is.
If no one can identify it, then it is true a ufo. Which doesn't help all that much, but it adds to the data base.

This is happening here and now on the apparition thread I posted.

The point was that I know what I saw, but also know that it couldn't have been there under anything we could call normal circumstances.

I am always happy to fall back on 'I just don't know' as a response. If I wasn't there it is really the only answer.

HAL

I think it certainly isn't swamp gas....but it could be debris or it also could be some kind of 'craft'. It's an unknown and that's about all we can say. The fact that NASA posted it on their own web site leads me to believe they know it's not alien and are pretty sure no one else will be able to show that.... or they would not have put it out there so blatantly imho.(I did look at it on the NASA link you gave)
As far as the object itself...it is funny shaped for an aircraft but then I supose an 'alien' craft might look odd, In some of the other angles/ pics you posted above it does look like debris to me but one or two different positions makes it look like a possible 'craft'.
I would ask ...do you know if NASA has said where they think the 'debis' came from...what is it exactly and what did it fall off from?
I don't recall at the time if they suggested a source for the junk. The thing I find most interesting with it is the symmetry and the lights. It appears to be inverted with lights on it. Three one side facing away. And the closer side seem to point at the camera and appear brighter. What would space. Junk have lights on it for. There not reflected light blind Freddy can see that

I don't recall at the time if they suggested a source for the junk. The thing I find most interesting with it is the symmetry and the lights. It appears to be inverted with lights on it. Three one side facing away. And the closer side seem to point at the camera and appear brighter. What would space. Junk have lights on it for. There not reflected light blind Freddy can see that
I only see 'lights' on one of the images and frankly they could be reflections since I don't know enough about that type of optical aspect (you'd think i would being an Optometrist but we didn''t get a lot of 'hard optics' at college...just one year of Geometrical Optics). The shape is odd...I simply don't see a craft there but as I said an alien craft could be weird looking. But it doesn't look like a blanket either but..if it was damaged in space and is floating, who can say?

Yeah I am only talking about the one with lights. Well thanks for the honest reply. It's interesting as I can't help to see a craft of some sort with wing lights no matter how much I try to call it space junk. Two very different opinions from two (relatively) sane people lol

Yeah I am only talking about the one with lights. Well thanks for the honest reply. It's interesting as I can't help to see a craft of some sort with wing lights no matter how much I try to call it space junk. Two very different opinions from two (relatively) sane people lol
Some of the angles of the pics of the object don't reveal a craft imho....I suspect it is some kind of debris....and as I said earlier I don't t hink NASA would have put that pic up if they thought it was a real ufo. Just my 2 cents.
Was that a one time set of pics or is it still floating around for pics to be taken???